Alicante is a gorgeous beachfront city that you will find in Spain travel, settled along the Mediterranean coast. The city is almost completely dedicated to tourism and everyone is extremely welcoming. Alicante city is especially popular among people looking for the perfect spot for a romantic beach getaway or a family vacation, because of its relaxed ambiance of it.
Short Guide to Alicante:
Photo by: Jesus Alenda
Get In and Around
The most direct way to get there is to get a plane ticket for the Alicante Airport. There are companies that offer great bargain flights to Alicante. But, if you want something different, there is also a train that takes you there from Madrid.
There are taxis, car rentals and public transportation available. But pretty much everything is within walking distance. Plus walking is the best way to truly appreciate the place.
Things to Do
- Visit The San Juan Beach – It is a 7km. long white sanded beach is considered one of the best in Spain and even has an 18 hole golf course.
- The Santa Barbara Castle – This is a beautiful medieval fortress and an archaeological jewel that offers some great views of Alicante city, beaches, and the ocean.
- Terra Mitica – It is a popular Theme Park throughout Europe. It has an ancient theme that represents cultures like Egypt, Greece, and Rome.
- The Archaeological Museum – In it you can find Roman, Iberian, and Greek artifacts.
- Basilica of Santa María – It was built between the 14th and 16th centuries with a Gothic style over the former main mosque.
Where to Eat
When you plan your meals during a trip to Alicante, keep in mind that most, family-owned restaurants that serve traditional, homemade food will be closed during Siesta time. That is between 4 and 7 pm.
As always, restaurants that offer local fare are the recommendation. I wouldn’t go to this part of the world and not try the traditional seafood dishes. A few of the most popular places to visit are Familia y Amigos Restaurant, Don carlos Alicante, and Cerveceria Sento they all have amazing reviews.
Where to Stay
It is always confusing to find the right accommodations for what you want, like, and need. Especially in a place like this one, whit so many options. Luckily Alicante has something for everyone.
If you are like me and prefer B&Bs, La Milagrosa is a good choice. If on the other hand, you prefer 5-star resorts, you might want to check out Hospes Amerigo. As with every other city, there are always options in between like Tryp Ciudad de Alicante Hotel.