You can purchase more than one property to meet the minimum investment amount. Co-ownership is also allowed.If you are looking for a route to gaining residency in another country, you would do well to look into Residency by Investment Programs.
If you apply under this program, you need to set up a bank account in Portugal and maintain the investment for five years. You have the option of selling it after this period.
Obtaining residency in a First World country is now more of a necessity than a privilege.
With the turbulent conditions in various parts of the world, establishing a business in a stable market and secure country, and moving freely from one place to another, are now certainly necessities.
For investors and entrepreneurs with families, ensuring that their loved ones are safe and secure, have access to good-quality education and healthcare services, and have a bright future ahead of them are goals they can achieve in a progressive and stable country.
It can be said, though, that the process of gaining residency in First World countries is often long, hard, and complicated. Many people even get discouraged when they see the requirements needed for the application.
However, not all permanent residency routes take years and call for requirements that are difficult to fulfill.
Many countries have residency by investment programs that do not have strict requirements or take years to process.
If you are looking for a route to gaining residency in another country, you would do well to look into this program.
Top Residency by Investment Programs
Residency by investment programs offer a method of gaining permanent residence in another country by investing in real estate or government bonds.
In return, you will be given a permanent residency card, allowing you to live and work or run a business in the country. Your family can also join you, and they will have access to the same benefits that you are afforded.
Several nations already have this program in place. If you are interested in gaining residency in another land, you can consider these countries:
- United Kingdom
The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland has long been considered a powerhouse economically and politically. The UK is also known for its premier educational and healthcare systems, which are highly sought after.
What’s more, the UK consistently tops various lists as the most attractive country for thousands of people.
Because of these reasons, the UK residency visa by investment program is one of the best in the world.
The UK’s residency by investment program offers the following benefits:
- Gain residency within three to nine months.
- Minimal required residency within the UK (180 days annually for five years) to gain Indefinite Leave to Remain or ILR.
- Citizenship after five years of residing in the UK.
- Visa-free travel to over 175 countries.
- Residency privileges are extended to your spouse and dependents.
- The right to work, own a business, and live in a politically and economically stable country.
- Minimal required documents.
The program has two investment streams:
- Tier 1 Investor Visa – Requires a minimum investment of £2,000,000 into UK government bonds, share capital, or loan capital.
- Tier 1 Entrepreneur Visa – Requires establishing or taking over a UK-based business and actively operating and a minimum investment of £200,000 in personal funds.
Portugal, a southwestern country in Europe, also has a popular residency by investment route, which is the Golden Visa program.
This program is open to people who are not European Union (EU), European Economic Area (EEA), or Switzerland citizens.
The benefits of the Golden Visa program include:
- Minimal required residency, which is seven days per year for five years.
- Residency obtained within 60 days.
- Clear tax rules.
- Residency privileges extended to your spouse and dependents.
- Visa-free travel to over 170 countries.
- The right to work, own a business, and live in a country with a high quality of life and low crime rate.
The program calls for investing in a real estate property in the country with a market value from €350,000 to €500,000.
Since its launch in 2013, the Greek Golden Visa program has been popular among foreigners since it is one of the most affordable residency streams in the world.
You can apply for this program if you are a non-EU citizen and have no criminal records.
The benefits offered by the Greek Golden Visa program include:
- Fast processing time, which is around two months.
- Visa-free travel within the Schengen zone.
- The right to live and settle in Greece or other EU countries.
- Eligibility to apply for EU citizenship after living in Greece for a minimum of seven years.
- Residency privileges are extended to your spouse and dependents under 25 years of age.
To obtain a residency permit under the program, you have to make a minimum investment of €250,000 in a real estate property within the country.
Once you acquire your five-year residency visa, you can renew it every five years, as long as the property is still under your name.
The beautiful country of Cyprus also has a residency by investment program.
This country has the lowest crime levels in the EU, low cost of living, and high quality of healthcare and medical services. Foreigners given residency permits will not be subjected to inheritance tax as well.
The benefits of the country’s residency program include:
- Quick processing time, which is around two months.
- No required period of stay in the country.
- No language requirement.
- The right to live in Cyprus and other EU countries.
- Visa-free travel to more than 27 countries.
- Residency permit that is valid for life and does not need to be renewed.
- The right to apply for EU citizenship after seven years.
- Application eligibility and residency privileges are extended to your spouse and dependents under 25 years of age.
The program has different investment options, which are:
- Purchasing a new immovable property with a market value of at least €300,000 plus VAT.
- Purchasing of up to two new or used immovable non-residential or commercial spaces, such as offices or shops, amounting to at least €300,000 plus VAT.
- Investing at least €300,000 in a physical company registered and operating in Cyprus.
- Investing €300,000 in the Cyprus Investment Funds Association’s collective investments.
This small EU country also has a residency by investment program, which is the Malta Permanent Residence Program. It grants residence rights to foreign nationals seeking to live here and in other European countries.
The program’s benefits include:
- Visa-free travel to 166 countries, including the EU and Canada.
- The right to live and work in any of the 28 EU countries.
- The right to reside indefinitely in Malta; however, there is no residence period requirement.
- Investment required only for the first five years.
- Processing time of four to six months.
To obtain residency, you need to invest in a property worth at least €250,000 and not sell it within the next five years.
If you want to experience a better lifestyle with your family and be a global entrepreneur, in addition to taking up relevant training courses, getting a residence permit can help you achieve these lofty goals.