You’ve heard of ocean cruises, sure. You’ve heard of riverboat tours, of course. But what, in Captain Birdseye’s name, is a yachting holiday? Luckily for you, I know what they are and I know the best places to charter your own yacht and get exploring.Information about yachting vacations, all you need to know to decide whether it is for you or not.In this article, you will find those info.
All You Need to Know About Yachting Vacations – Are They For You?
What is it?
Basically, you charter you’re very own yacht and get to explore a corner of the ocean. This type of holiday is most commonly found in Greece, due to it being a perfect way to explore the many islands whilst also soaking up all that gorgeous Greek scenery and history.
Types of yachting vacations
A fairly typical company, like AlpineElements, who offer this type of holiday will have two or three different types of yacht chartering holidays which means that you can find a holiday that suits you whether you have yachting experience or not.
• Flotilla – The so called flotilla holidays are a great way to meet people as it involves chartering a yacht as part of a flotilla and traveling around the islands as a group. With the flotilla option, you get to pilot the boat yourself, however there is a ‘lead boat’ never too far away that has aboard it a trained yachtsman who can always help you out of any sticky situations you find yourself in. The flotilla moves along a pre-planned route and each night culminates in a group meal ashore a new and incredible place.
• Bareboat – This option is the opposite of the flotilla and is only available for confident yachtsmen. You charter the boat and then are free to travel the area under you own steam. This allows you to see what you want to see, when you want to see it without having to go along with a pre-planned itinerary. If you know what you’re doing then this is the perfect option, however if your new to this and would rather travel with, and meet, other people, then the flotilla is for you.
To charter the boat as a part of the flotilla or the bare-boat holidays, the vast majority of companies will require the chosen skipper to have had previous experience and one/or both of the following:
• Day Skipper Qualification
• An ICC (International Certificate of Competence)
Where to go for yachting vacations?
If all this sounds attractive to you (and how could it not?) then you’re probably wondering where you can do it. See below for the most popular.
• Aegean Sea – Greece is the most popular location for yacht chartering because of the sheer number of islands in the Aegean Sea. Chartering here allows you to engage with the history of the area whilst sampling some of the finest food and drink Europe has to offer.
• Ionian Islands – Staying with Greece for a spell, the Ionian Islands are on the west side of Greece and are made up of seven major islands and many smaller ones. The Ionian Islands include Corfu, Ithaca, and Zante, most famously.
• The Caribbean – After Greece, the Caribbean proves to be one of the most popular destinations. I don’t know if it’s because of the scenery and beaches, the rum, or if it’s simply because it allows you to pretend to be a pirate for a week or two.