White sanded beaches, five-star hotels, and activities of all sorts are part of the Gold Coast region of Costa Rica. Golf courses with incredible views of the ocean neighbor some of the country’s most recognized surf breaks. This is also one of the most visited and accessible zones with the International Liberia Airport just an hour or less away. You’ll want to enjoy the scenic Tempisque River Bridge (The Friendship Bridge subsidized by Taiwan), vibrant mud-pits of Rincon de la Vieja and Coco Island known for its bounteous marine life and impressive diving specks.
Travel Guide to the Beaches of North Pacific Costa Rica
Where Is It?
See the map
The north Pacific coast of Costa Rica is bordered by Nicaragua. It includes the Nicoya Peninsula and some islands in the Gulf of Nicoya and the Isla Del Coco.
Dry months: November May 82 °F
Rainy season: May October 91 °F, and 70 °F in mountains.
Places To Be in North Pacific Costa Rica
The Gold Coast
It has white and black sanded beaches, remote coves and five-star resorts. The most popular beaches are Playa del Coco, Ocotal, Conchal, Papagayo Bay, Flamingo, Playa Grande, and Tamarindo. It also boasts several of the country’s world-class golf courses.
* Excellent resorts and spas
* Santa Rosa National Park
* Surf camp and professional surf instruction
* A tour to see the endangered leatherback turtle lay her eggs on Playa Grande
* Getting a hole-in-one at one of Costa Rica’s best golf courses
Liberia and the Surrounding Area
Liberia is the capital of Guanacaste. The International airport has made this area extremely accessible. In it, you will find plenty of hotels, restaurants, and shops. Surrounded by active and inactive volcanoes, Tenorio, Miravalles and Rincon de la Vieja, this region is considered the tropical dry forest of Costa Rica. Driving through the savanna-like plains where real cowboys still live the traditional ranch lifestyle on spacious cattle farms that is still the main livelihood for many locals.
* Take a dip in the mud pits at Rincon de la Vieja
* The Sabanero (cowboy) culture and horseback riding. Take hacienda ranch tours where the greater part of the country’s cattle thrive is located.
* Rincon de la Vieja, active volcano
Southern Nicoya Peninsula
Lavish tropical rain forests border stunning and isolated beaches in the southern part of the Guanacaste region. Famous destinations include Samara, Nosara, Malpais, Montezuma, and Tortuga Island, and are known for their calmness and relaxation.
* Glorious sunsets at any one of the peninsula’s beaches, many of which are secluded and often deserted
* The Olive Ridley sea turtle at Ostional Wildlife Refuge
* Surfing in Malpais, or surf lessons in Samara
So Much TO See in the Costa Rica North Pacific Coast!
North Pacific Costa Rica Beaches
* Popular Gold Coast Beaches
* Playa del Coco
* Papagayo Bay
* Playa Ocotal
* Playa Flamingo
* Playa Conchal
* Playa Grande
* Playa Tamarindo
Popular Central and Southern Nicoya Peninsula Beaches
* Playa Langosta
* Playa Avellana
* Playa Ostional
* Playa Samara
* Playa Santa Teresa
Parks & Reserves
* Las Baulas National Marine Park
* Rincon de la Vieja National Park
* Palo Verde National Park
* Ostional Wildlife Refuge
* Cabo Blanco Absolute Reserve
* Santa Rosa National Park
* Coco Island National Park
* Cacao Volcano
* Miravalles Volcano
* Orosi Volcano
* Rincon de la Vieja Volcano
* Tenorio Volcano
* Las Pailas- bubbling mud pits, hot springs, geysers
* Day tours of Miravalles to its mud pits and hot springs
* Rincon de la Vieja – take a volcanic mud-bath and waterfall tour.
* Blue Lake Waterfall (90 ft. high)…it’s blue because of the copper in the water… located at Rincon de la Vieja National Park
So Much To Do in the North Pacific Region!
* Bird and Wildlife Spying
* Diving and Snorkeling
* Turtle Tours
Adventure & Recreational Activities
* ATV Tours
* Canopy Tours
* Horseback Riding
* Mud Pools
* Rafting & Tubing
* Sea Kayaking
* Sport Fishing