Costa Rica is a country known around the world for all of its natural beauties, and what a great job they have done at preserving them. One of those gorgeous landmarks is the famous Arenal Volcano.
It is also among the top ten most active volcanoes in the world. Its beauty will blow your mind, especially during the afternoon as the sun goes down, and the Arenal volcano reflects on the lake. Plus, sometimes you will get to see the lava flowing show.
The best part is that you can enjoy this magical scene while soaking in natural hot springs warmed up by the volcano.
Aside from that, there are tons of things that you can learn about this gorgeous volcano from Costa Rica. Keep reading to fin all sorts of Arenal Volcano Facts.
Technical Arenal Volcano Facts
Where Is Arenal Volcano?
The Arenal Volcano is located in Alajuela Province, San Carlos, Costa Rica, inside Arenal Volcano National Park, only is 17 kilometers away from the town of La Fortuna where you can find tons of hotels for all budgets and tastes.
Arenal Volcano Height
Arenal Volcano’s highest point is 1633 meters (5383 feet) above sea level.
What Kind of Volcano is Arenal?
Stratovolcano – This means that it looks like a typical conical volcano. It’s built up of many layers of cool lava. The shape happens because it hardens before spreading far, due to high viscosity.
Type of Activity
Strombolian – This means that its type of eruption is relatively mild blasts. Eruptions are medium in volume and they come with sporadic violence.
How Old Is Arenal Volcano?
Arenal Volcano is around 3,000 years old.
The Last Big Eruption of Arenal Volcano
Its last eruption ended in 2010.
Tourist Information About Arenal Volcano
Trails Hours: 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM.
Entrance fee: $6
Fun and Interesting Arenal Volcano Facts
- This is one of the most popular attractions in Costa Rica. Enjoy the lava flowing show as you soak in the nearby natural hot spring resorts heated by the volcano.
- It is the 3rd most perfect conical shaped volcano in the world.
- It is considered one of the top ten most active volcanoes in the world.
- There are 3 to 20 lava-flowing explosions daily, sending ash plumes one kilometer above the volcano and boulders down its sides the size of houses.
- Every six to eight months lava flows change direction, favoring the southwest and/or northwest slopes.
- Volcanologists have warned that a major eruption is coming in the future that could cause pyroclastic flows – a mixture of hot rocks and gases that travel up to 80 kilometers per hour, destroying everything in their path.
- For over 400 years, Arenal sat silent until July 29, 1968, when it exploded with such force that it blew up the entire western side of the mountain and created three craters. The three neighboring villages: Pueblo Nuevo, Tabacon, and San Luis were destroyed and 78 lives were lost.
- The Arenal Volcano National Park covers four different life zones, tons of animal species live in each. Nearly 75% of the total 850 species of birds known to live in Costa Rica are in this region.
Take a look at this page to find more information about Things to do in Arenal.
Enjoyed this post? Pin it!