Sleeping bags are a very resourceful utility, especially when it comes to camping and other outdoor activities. However, not all of them are designed the same. They come in a wide variety of options that you can choose from based on a number of factors, including the level of comfort, insulation, shape, size, weight, temperature ratings, and much more. Sometimes the numerous options can be confusing, you can go for the safe choice of a western mountaineering summerlite sleeping bag. But you definitely need to learn how to choose it right. Going shopping for the best sleeping bag for you? List of things to consider before buying a sleeping bag.Take a look at this article to find a how to choose the right sleeping bag.
Here are some tips from experts on how to choose the right sleeping bag for you.
1. Consider the Temperature Rating
The Temperature rating of a sleeping bag denotes the lowest temperature at which an average sleeper will remain warm and comfortable. For instance, a 25-degree sleeping bag should keep the average sleeper warm as long as the temperature does not fall below 25 degrees Fahrenheit. This makes it important to consider the area’s average temperature range as well as the season you’re going camping, which brings us to the next important point – Season ratings.
2. Sleeping Bag Season Ratings
Another factor to consider when choosing a sleeping bag is its season ratings. There are 4 main types of sleeping bags based on season ratings. These are:
- Season 1 – Suitable for indoor use in summer camping.
- Season 2 – Suitable for use in early autumn or late spring.
- Season 3 – Ideal for autumn and winter when there’s no frost.
- Season 4 – Ideal cold nights with frost or snow.
While the first two options are ideal for use in summer, the other two are designed to protect you from the cold nights of winter.
3. Bag Shape and Size
Sleeping bags are also available in a wide variety of shapes and sizes. When there’s too much room between your body and the bag, such a sleeping bag may not be as effective as one where space is smaller. This is because the former tends to be less effective in holding warm non-circulating air that keeps you warm. Some of the most common sleeping bag option based on shape include rectangular, semi-rectangular, mummy, and double-wide sleeping bags. All these are different in terms of comfort, convenience, and effectiveness, making it important to tell the difference between the various shapes of sleeping bags.
4. Insulation Type
The insulation type determines the strength, cost, and overall performance of a sleeping bag. There are two types of sleeping bags based on insulation type. These include synthetic and down insulation.
- Synthetic Insulation: This one is made typically from polyester. It comes with a number of advantages of the down insulation option. It tends to be more durable, less expensive, is non-allergic, and dries quickly in case it gets wet. However, it tends to be less versatile when it comes to backpacking.
- Down Insulation: On the other hand, down insulation is more durable than the synthetic option. It is also highly compressible and thus versatile for both camping and backpacking. It also has a water-resistant option. Nonetheless, it tends to be more expensive.
5. Additional Features and Accessories
In addition to the above, there are other important features to look for when choosing a sleeping bag. Some of these may include:
- Shell/lining – A water-resistant lining is best.
- Hood – Hooded sleeping bags are more suitable when camping in cooler temperatures. The hood can also act as a pillow.
- Stash pocket – An ideal storage utility for small items like watches, compasses, Mp3 players and such.
- Pillow pocket – Can stuff items in to create a pillow.
- Storage/Stuff sack – For easy transportation and storage of your sleeping bag.
From the above pointers, it is clear that choosing the right sleeping bag can be a bit involving that you’d probably thought. However, it becomes a breeze with these guidelines. For more inspiration and to save yourself the time and effort, you might want to check out the 0 degree sleeping bag reviews. Hope it helps you in finding the right sleeping bag for your needs. Happy shopping!