New York City is one of the most exciting cities in the world. It offers so many attractions that it can get a bit overwhelming to pick the ones you want. Even after growing up in NYC, when the time came to plan a trip back with my family, I had trouble deciding what we would visit. In the end we all had a great time! So keep reading to find 11 suggestions on things to do in NYC.
11 Family Friendly Things to Do in New York City:
1. Museums – There are tons of museums in New York City, some so big that you can literally get lost in them for hours. A couple of the most popular ones are: The American Museum of Natural History and the Metropolitan Museum of Art. It takes just a tiny bit of research to find the different museums.
2. Statue if Liberty – This can easily be the first thing that people think about when NYC comes out in a conversation. It is one of those places that you have to go to whenever you are in the city. It is an important landmark as well as a fun option for an adventure.
3. Bike Tours – When I lived in the city biking through the streets sounded like a bad joke, it was really dangerous. That’s why, when I went back earlier this year, I was glad to see that there were bike paths and places where you can rent them scattered around the city. The biking tour along New York was one of my favorite activities.
4. Central Park – Another must visit when traveling to New York is Central Park. But it is one big place and exploring it on foot will get you really tired. So, during our recent visit, I took my family on a pedicab tour in Central Park. Our driver was also a tour guide that explained everything to us and knew a lot of fun and historic facts.
5. Ellis Island – It might look like just a small piece of land off of Manhattan, but it used to be one of the busiest ports of the country. A place where thousands of immigrants entered the country. It is now a national park and an important touristic destination.
6. Circle Line – It is a tour that has been offered in New York for a long time. A tour on the Circle Line consists of a ride on board of a boat around the island from where you get magnificent views of the city. There are 5 different routes that allow you to see many different things.
7. Central Park Zoo – While you are exploring central park, be sure to make some time to check out Central Park Zoo. It isn’t a very big zoo, but it is large enough to hold comfortably animals of around 150 species.
8. Empire State Building – The Empire State Building was the tallest building of the world for over 40 years. It is also known as one of the 7 wonders of the modern world. If you wish you can also go up to the 86th floor to get a skyline view of the city. Do I need to say anything else?
9. Art Galleries – You can also find a lot of art galleries in NYC. They are spread all over the place. What is it that you want to see, Asian art? Or maybe African? From the 19th century maybe? Don’t worry. New York’s got your back.
10. Shopping – New York is one of the Fashion capitals of the world. You can pretty much find any of the major brands here. But it’s not all about clothing. There are tons of stores all over the city where you can find pretty much anything you might want to buy.
11. Grand Central Terminal – This is the largest train station in the world. It is a building that still holds chaos of thousands of people going through it every day, even after 100 years of being built.
I know that this article doesn’t cover half of the things that are available for travelers in New York. There are even a tons free things to do in NYC. But this list only includes a few of the highlights of the that can guarantee an amazing time in the city. Feel free to leave your recommendations in the comments.