Have you ever browse a magazine, or Instagram, and wonder if you can take great quality photos like that as well? The answer is yes! You too can take great quality photos by possessing the necessary skills needed and equipped yourself with a reliable camera. How the right camera equipment can help you get amazing photos.In this blog post, you will learn all about how to take great photos.
You can possess the necessary skills through constant learning and practicing. While for the camera, choose the one that fits your skill level and cater your needs. There’s no problem in the buying process anymore, the main problem lies on how to take great quality photos using the right camera equipment?
Tips on how to take great quality photos using the right camera equipment
Know your camera
Cameras are not created equally. Some are great in landscape photography, and some are in street photography. Getting to know it will help you determine the things that it can and cannot do. The best way to do this is by reading its manual.
Here is the camera specification that is a must-look in manuals:
- The resolution of the camera lies in the number of its effective pixels. If your main goal is to create large prints, then you will need a camera with high resolution. But this will only be effective if you have a reliable focus and exposure.
- The exposure is the one that defines how dark or light a photo will appear when the camera captures it. The importance of exposure is very high because it works side-by-side with ISO and shutter speed.
- The ISO is known for controlling the sensitivity of the camera’s sensor to the given amount of light. ISO consist of values ranging from 100 to 6400.
The best way to determine which values to use is by knowing the time of your photo shoot. If you are shooting in broad daylight, you can choose between 100 and 200 ISO values; if at night, you must choose ISO values between 800 and 1600.
- The colors and tones work side-by-side to ensure the great quality of the photo. The colors add life to your subject; while the tones help to set the mood. There are 2 colors setting in the camera that you need to familiarize: the white balance and customized color control (the name varies to the camera brand).
Get the right lenses that you need
As a beginner, the camera itself can be enough for you to take great quality photos. But as you grow, you would certainly want more. This is when the lenses come in handy.
Though the camera is an important factor, it will never work without reliable lenses. For you to get the best lenses for your camera, you must understand f-stops and focal length.
The f-stop defines how wide the lens aperture can open. The effect of f-stops is not always obvious that’s why some people tend to take it for granted. But f-stop has a huge impact on the depth of field and the amount of light that enters in your lens. So, it’s best to be mindful of it all the time.
While for the focal length, it defines how wide or closes you can get with the lens. There are 2 options for camera lenses: prime and zoom. The prime lens has a fixed focal length which is good for portrait photography; while the zoom lens has adjustable focal lengths which are advantageous for wildlife and landscapes photography.
What brand is the better option?
There’s a continuous debate whether what camera brand is better to use in photography. But the truth is there’s no correct answer in here. It will always depend on your preference and needs.
But for you to have some ideas, here’s a brief comparison of the two favorite camera brands: Canon and Nikon.
Note: The comparison is based on the above-mentioned specifications.
- Resolution: Nikon is the first one that offers high-resolution cameras. But Canon still fighting back by offering a high resolution on their newer models.
- Exposure: Canon and Nikon have a similarity in terms of providing perfect exposure. But reliability-wise, it’s still best to choose Nikon as it is the camera manufacturer that first designed, and still developing, a reliable flash exposure system.
- Color and tones: Nikon and Canon are both reliable when it comes to delivering even color and tones in the photo quality.
- Lenses: Though both have a wide range of specialized lenses, number-wise, Canon has the most number of available lenses.
- Camera Quality (Exterior): Nikon is undoubtedly has a better exterior quality than Canon. This is most especially in the areas of sensor quality and dynamic range.
With the comparison above, the winner is clearly the Nikon brand. Here is another good reviews on
Nikon D7200 accessories that we recommend in case you want to buy some Nikon equipment.
However, this doesn’t mean that other camera brands are not a good option. Just like we’ve mentioned earlier, everything will still depend on your preference and your needs.