One of my favorite things to do in the winter is to go skiing. There are several resorts to choose from across the United States that may or may not be suitable for you. Some are family friendly and have lots of things going on, such as Breckenridge whereas others are purely for skiing and snowboarding. The first one is my idea of a vacation and you can find some gorgeous cabins in Breckenridge that have spectacular views of the surrounding peaks. This is a great place to come with your family to enjoy a few days of skiing. I’m going to tell you everything you need to know about skiing in Breckenridge in this article.
When is the Best Time to Visit Breckenridge?
The peak season for skiing usually starts in November and lasts until late March or Early April. Most people come here for a few days to a week around the holidays, such as Christmas and New Year. When the number of tourists increases, the price of accommodation and rentals increases too. It may also be more difficult to find discounts or promotions on the lift tickets and for other activities.
If you want to avoid the crowds, you can come to Breckenridge in late October or early November. You’ll have most of the place to yourself and won’t have to wait too long in lines. But, not every ski slope opens this early in the season. There’s probably going to be snowfall, especially on the higher peaks though some slopes will remain closed. The best thing to do here is to check online to see which ones are open during the times when you want to visit. You can also plan your trip to Breckenridge after the holidays. When the kids go back to school and people return to work after the first week in January, the resort will feel less crowded.
How to Get to Breckenridge:
If you live in Colorado, it’s quite easy to get to the town in your car. The journey usually takes a few hours from most places. Traffic and congestion can get quite bad during holidays and weekends and you should factor that into your trip. It’s also worth mentioning that the roads may be icy in the winter months.
If you don’t live in Colorado, you’re probably going to need to take a flight. Breckenridge is about 100 miles from Denver International and you have the choice of either renting a car or taking the shuttle bus. Expect the journey from the airport to take between two to two and a half hours. Depending on where you’re flying from, you may land at Eagle Airport or Colorado Springs. The first is about 70 miles and the second is 170 miles from Breckenridge.
Where’s the Best Place to Stay in Breckenridge:
There are two main places to stay here. The first is in the town itself, such as in the Historic District. This is near the shops and restaurants and you can find a free bus service that takes you around the town. The other popular places to stay are on the ski slopes themselves. You can find a place on Peak 7, 8, and 9. But these are going to be more expensive than the ones in the town.
Travel Hacks in Breckenridge:
It’s quite easy to fall into the trap of spending too much money when you visit Breckenridge. However, there are a few important tips that can end up saving you a lot of money. Here are some of my essential travel hacks to cut the costs of your trip.
• Buy groceries instead of eating out all the time. Choose accommodation where you can prepare a simple meal. You can also bring alcoholic drinks with you from the supermarket back at home.
• There are lots of deals and discounts if you search and book online. This includes promotions on your accommodation, especially during the low season. You can also find discounts on lift tickets and passes. I’d recommend buying your pass in advance if you plan to do a lot of skiing. Another advantage of this is that you don’t need to wait in line when you get here.
• Use the free buses. Breckenridge has about eight different lines that connect to most places in the city. You can use them for sightseeing around town or get to the chairlift. If you’re flexible and want to rely on the public transport, find out where the bus routes are and book your accommodation nearby.
• Research and find out what free events and activities are taking part when you’re in town. This may range from outdoor concerts and live music in some of the bars. Or it may be an art festival and special events for skiing. Take the time to check before you go and you may get lucky.
• You don’t need a guide to explore the historical part of town. There are a few private tours in the region and they do offer an insight into the town. At the same time, if you spend 30 minutes on your laptop to plan a route and to read the history, you can learn everything on your own.
The Takeaway Message:
Breckenridge is one of the best mountain resorts in the United States for skiing and snowboarding. This is a perfect place to take the family on a winter vacation. Just make sure you plan and take the time to research everything before you go because you may find an offer you can’t refuse!