Living with a family of chocolate lovers, the idea of visiting one of the most popular chocolatiers in Spain, Simon Coll, was a must-do.
Visiting and Touring Simon Coll
Simon Coll is located about 45 minutes outside of Barcelona. What’s great about the area that Simon Coll is located in, is that it’s also the place right next to the family-friendly Wine and Cava Winery tours at Vilarnau.
Understanding that arriving at this place is a bit out of the way, the attractions now work together so that families can make a day of it. Visit the Chocolate Factory and enjoy an educational, family-oriented Cava tour, then go to a tasty restaurant specializing in local Catalan cuisine.
The whole tour at Simon Coll takes less than one hour, and is interactive and informative.
But nothing beats the tastings at the end of the tour.
Fun Facts About Simon Coll
- During the 19th century, a chocolate workshop opened in Sant Sadurní d’Anoia, about 40km from Barcelona.
- Casa Simón has been making artisanal chocolate since 1840.
- The transition from handcrafting to mechanization came with the new century, led by Francesco Coll (the third generation owners).
- In the 1950’s marketing expanded the business throughout all of Catalonia.
- During the 70’s Simón Coll started to make chocolate with a higher percentage of cocoa in response to growing consumer demand.
- They also started producing “turrones” (nougat).
- A second factory opened in the beginning of the 21st century.
- Right now, their products are sold in over 20 countries.
Info for Visiting Simon Coll
Address: Sant Pere, 37 08770 Sant Sadurní d’Anoia Barcelona (Spain)
Phone: +34 93 891 11 00
Hours: Monday to Friday from 9 to 14 – 15 to 19h
Monday to Friday – At 10h, 11h, 12h, 13h, 15h, 16h and 17h
Saturday and Sunday – At 10h, 11h, 12h, 13h and 14h
Saturday and Sunday November and December – At 16:00 and 17:00
Saturday and Sunday month of Easter
Adults (from 16 years on) 5€/person
Children (from 9 to 15): 3€/child
Children (up to 8): Free
- Audiovisual show that takes you for a journey into the origins, the culture, the history and the process of how Simón Coll makes chocolate.
- Get information about cocoa and chocolate from your guide.
- See the pilot production line at work, making chocolate.
- Taste some chocolate straight off the line.
4 Areas of the Simón Coll Chocolate Experience:
- The 180º audiovisual space
- The traditional workshop
- The pilot production line
- The store