Living in the Northeast of the US we hear a lot about Philly Cheesesteaks. Since I’m not a big meat person, I never went out of my way to order one. But how can I possibly miss out on a chance to try the ‘real deal’ when visiting Philadelphia?
So when in Philly…
Recommended Read: Fun things to do in Philadelphia
What is Philly Cheesesteak?
- It is a sandwich made from thinly sliced pieces of steak and melted cheese in a long hoagie roll.
- The cheesesteak was developed in the early 20th century.
- Philadelphians Pat and Harry Olivieri are often credited with inventing the sandwich by serving chopped steak on an Italian roll in the early 1930s.
- They began selling this variation of steak sandwiches at their hot dog stand near South Philadelphia’s Italian Market.
- The sandwich was originally prepared without cheese; Olivieri claims provolone cheese was first added by Joe “Cocky Joe” Lorenza, a manager at the Ridge Avenue location.
Related Read: Philadelphia terminal market
My Take on the Philly Cheesesteak
This was my first time ever tasting this kind of sandwich, and I’ll be honest with you, I don’t see what the fuss is all about. Maybe back in the day, it was good because of the protein. However, the sandwich itself is quite bland and very dry. And we ordered the cheesesteak with roasted red peppers, which give everything flavor and juiciness.
But I would never have missed a chance to try a true Philly Cheesesteak and you should too. It’s worth the full experience of it.
Related Post: Philadelphia Hoagies
One thought on “5 Facts About Philadelphia Cheesesteak You Didn’t Know”
No you didn’t go the the Right Place to get a genuine Philly Cheesesteak! There’s plenty of places besides Jim’s Steak, Pats Or Geno’s that have tons of flavor in the steak itself! I believe if you get with a True Born & Bred Philly Son or Daughter …You’ll Get A Real Philly Cheesesteak! And that’s no shade to Jim’s Pat’s & Geno’s !! There’s so many Philly bloggers & people like myself that can show you exactly where & Again there’s plenty other places… I think your tastebuds will be addicted like the rest of us, them jawns be bussin’!!!