Navigating the Visa Requirements and Immigration Process for Americans Moving to Spain

If you’re an American planning to move to Spain, the first step is obtaining a visa. There are several types of visas available, depending on your reasons for moving and how long you plan to stay in Spain.

One popular option is the Spanish Non-Lucrative Visa, which allows individuals who have sufficient financial means to live in Spain without working. This visa is valid for one year initially and can be renewed annually up to five years.

Another option is the Entrepreneur Visa, designed for those wishing to start their own business or invest in an existing one in Spain. This visa requires a minimum investment of €1 million or more.

For those looking to work while living in Spain, there’s the Work Permit Visa. To obtain this visa, you’ll need a job offer from a Spanish company that sponsors your application.

No matter what type of visa you choose, be prepared for a lengthy process that involves gathering documents and attending interviews at both the Spanish consulate and immigration offices upon arrival in Spain.

Spanish Non Lucrative Visa

If you’re an American planning to move to Spain, it’s important to understand the visa requirements. One option is the Spanish Non Lucrative Visa, which allows for extended stays in Spain without engaging in work or business activities.

To be eligible for this type of visa, applicants must prove that they have sufficient funds to support themselves during their stay and demonstrate that they don’t pose a threat to public health or security. The exact amount required varies depending on individual circumstances, such as family size and length of stay.

Applicants will also need to provide documentation such as medical certificates and criminal background checks. It’s worth noting that the application process can take several months, so it’s best to start early.

While this visa does not permit employment within Spain, it does allow for remote work or self-employment with clients outside of the country. Additionally, holders of this visa are able to travel freely within the Schengen Area during their stay.

If you’re looking for a way to spend an extended period living in Spain without working locally then obtaining a Spanish non lucrative visa may be your best bet!

Related Read: Span Non-Lucrative Visa: How to Get Residency?

Requirements for American citizens applying for a Spanish visa

If you’re an American citizen planning to move to Spain, it’s essential that you know the requirements for obtaining a visa. The type of visa needed will depend on your situation and how long you plan to stay in the country.

For those who intend to live in Spain without working, one option is the Non-Lucrative Visa. This permit allows individuals to reside freely in Spain for up to 12 months with no intention of engaging in any work activities during their stay.

To apply for this visa, applicants must provide proof of financial means sufficient enough to support themselves while living in Spain. In addition, they must also pass a medical examination and obtain health insurance coverage valid within Spanish territory.

For those looking to pursue employment opportunities or start a business venture, different rules apply. It’s possible for Americans seeking employment visas or investment permits (Golden Visa) by demonstrating they have sufficient qualifications and resources.

In both cases, applicants should be prepared to submit relevant documents such as criminal background checks and birth certificates as part of their application process. Understanding these requirements beforehand can help simplify the immigration process so that American citizens can more easily settle into life abroad in beautiful España!

Related Read: How to Get Dressed at the American Consulate for a Visa Interview

Buying Property in Spain as an American

If you are an American moving to Spain, buying property in Spain as an american is a popular option. However, the process can be quite different from what you’re used to in the USA.

It’s important to note that there are no restrictions on Americans owning property in Spain. You will need a Spanish bank account and your NIE (Foreigner’s Identity Number), which we covered earlier in this article.

Once you have these requirements sorted out, it’s time to start looking for properties. It’s recommended that you work with a trusted real estate agent who speaks English and understands the local market. They can help guide you through the process of finding and purchasing your dream home.

When making an offer on a property, it’s common practice to provide a deposit of around 10% of the purchase price. This shows your commitment to buy and takes the property off the market while contracts are drawn up.

The final stage involves signing contracts and paying any remaining fees or taxes associated with buying property in Spain. Once everything is finalized, congratulations! You are now officially a homeowner in Spain.

how to get nie in spain

If you’re planning on moving to Spain, one important thing you’ll need is a NIE (Número de Identificación de Extranjero), which is a foreigner identification number. This number serves as your identity in Spain and allows you to conduct any legal transactions there.

How to get NIE in Spain , the first step is filling out an application form. You can do this at your local Spanish embassy or consulate or through the Spanish National Police website. Once completed, bring it along with all necessary documents such as passport copies and proof of address to the nearest immigration office.

The process might take some time due to high demand, but once approved, you’ll receive your physical NIE card within weeks. Without this crucial document, it will be difficult for Americans moving to Spain to open bank accounts or sign rental agreements.

Remember that having a NIE does not grant you permission to stay in Spain indefinitely – that requires obtaining residency status. But getting a NIE is definitely an essential starting point if you plan on staying in the country long-term.

Spain Golden Visa

Are you looking to move to Spain permanently? If so, the Spain golden visa 2023 program may be the perfect fit for you. This visa option was created in 2013 and is available to non-EU nationals who invest a minimum of €500,000 in Spanish real estate.

With this visa, you can live and work in Spain without any restrictions for up to two years. After that time period has elapsed, you can renew your visa for an additional five years as long as you maintain your investment in Spanish property.

One advantage of the Golden Visa program is that it allows investors access to all EU countries within the Schengen area. Additionally, family members are also eligible for this type of visa.

If investing in real estate isn’t your thing but you’re still interested in moving to Spain long-term, there are other visa options available such as the Non-Lucrative Visa or Work Visa. It’s important to assess which one fits your needs best before making a decision.


Moving to Spain as an American can be an exciting adventure, but it’s important to navigate the visa requirements and immigration process with care. Whether you’re looking for a non-lucrative visa, searching for property or trying to obtain a NIE number, there are many resources available that can help make your transition easier.

Remember to research the specific requirements and regulations that apply to your situation, and don’t hesitate to seek out professional assistance if needed. With careful planning and preparation, you can turn your dream of living in Spain into a reality.

So go ahead, take the first step towards making this move come true! We hope this guide has provided valuable insights on navigating the visa requirements and immigration process for Americans moving to Spain. Wishing you all the best on this exciting journey ahead!

Last Updated on August 22, 2023

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.