When visiting Costa Rica the number one suggestion I make to everyone – visit a SODA, the local eatery and enjoy homemade Costa Rica food. Make sure you try the olla de carne, a delicious meat stew and pair with a refreshing fresco.
Costa Rica Food List
- Casado – this dish usually has beans, salad, plantains, rice and different meats, fish, chicken or vegetarian style.
- Gallo Pinto – you haven’t eaten Costa Rican until you eat Gallo Pinto which is beans, rice, sweet peppers, onions mixed and fried together with a special sauce that is only found in Costa Rica.
- Potato Hash – but it’s not the kind you are used to. It’s with a saucy soupy like combination.
- Cabbage salad or repollo salad. I love this fresh salad, it’s simple but full of flavor. They use lemon or oil as the dressing.
- Casado but Caribbean style. Instead of regular rice, they have a rice and beans mixture cooked on coconut oil.
- Beans – of course you can’t visit these countries with a form of refried beans.
And creamy tasty guacamole.
And delicious, not spicy, salsa.
3 thoughts on “Costa Rica Food List: Local Dishes of Costa Rica – Photo Essay”
Loooooooooove this foods in front of me.
I think “potato hash” is actually called picadillo… and the salsa is called Sala Lizano 🙂
It is called potato hash, but whenever I wrote that before, i was told the other way 🙂