Once per year, Tampa gets lit up. And it’s not during the holiday season, but a unique collection of artists get together and decorate Downtown Tampa.
Lights on Tampa Festival
What Lights on Tampa is All About?
- This is a festival that highlights seven art installations: Sky Striker, HEARD, FL, Glowing River, Recurrence, Urban Pixels, UpLit, and Shawdow
- It consists of turning buildings into illuminated art
- It lasts two nights – usually mid-February
- The Light On Tampa festival is the result of a partnership between the City of Tampa’s Art Programs Division and the Public Art Alliance
- It all started in 2006
- The objective was to put the spotlight on Tampa
- It happened again on 2009 when Tampa hosted the NFL’s Super Bowl XLIII
- And once more in 2011, 2012 just happened again on February 2015
- In 2010 it was recognized as one of the 50 most significant art programs in the U.S. in the last 50 years