Your precious art collection is a delicate and indispensable asset. That is why you should appreciate it at its true worth, observing each and every precaution to keep it safe. On the other hand, just like your art is one-of-a-kind, so is the process of its transportation. Art shipping involves many different steps, from choosing appropriate packaging materials and custom crating to unloading the artwork from the truck and installing it in the right place. Here is some useful information that will make your life a little easier next time you have to ship art to the international show or exhibition.Some useful info that will make your life a little easier next time you have how to ship art to the international show or exhibition.
How to Ship Art
Art packaging materials you need
Choosing the right art packaging materials plays an extremely important role when it comes to shipping valuable and fragile items internationally. Only by combining high-quality packaging materials, proper packing technique, and the right crating method, you can be sure every single piece arrives at the intended destination in the best condition possible. For example, if you are going to ship art to the international show, you may need the following supplies:
- Glassine paper – smooth, air, grease, and water-resistant paper usually used for protecting fragile art pieces.
- A heavy plastic bag – a bag made of thin, flexible or plastic film, which protects items from moisture.
- A sturdy cardboard box – a fairly light but extremely strong box that is eminently suitable for storing and transporting art.
- Corner protectors – special safety guards that will keep edges and corners of your artworks in good condition during their relocation.
- Packing tape – multipurpose packing material needed for sealing.
- Gloves – art handling gloves that protect both the artwork’s surface and your hands from unnecessary injuries.
Tips on how to ship art to the international show
- Insurance matters
The period when you ship art to the international exhibition or any other kind of show may be really stressful. If you want to be fully prepared to manage all the contingencies, consider purchasing special fine art insurance coverage.
- Proper packing
You need to utilize various high-quality materials accordingly to your specific kind of art. Pay meticulous attention to the art objects framed with glass. Such artworks are known to be particularly fragile and can be badly damaged during transportation if not properly packed.
- Learn the customs regulations
In order to make the transportation process as smooth as possible, find out all the information about the customs regulations in the country where the international show is held. You may also need certain certifications of the artwork’s authenticity and age, as well as other specific documentation.
- Entrust your collection to professionals
When it comes to shipping art pieces internationally, you need to be particularly careful since these items are extremely valuable and fragile. Therefore, do not take unnecessary risks and hire art shipping company to help with this complicated task. Make sure that the chosen shippers are experienced enough in transporting your particular kind of art.
Shipping artwork can be a real challenge, but with the appropriate packaging supplies and professional help, you can ship art to the international show safely and efficiently.
Take a look at this other article about where to find the Best Food, Culture and Art Holidays.