My absolute favorite thing to do, besides actual traveling, is the planning for my trip. This always allows me to learn a lot about the place you are about to visit, so you are ready for what may happen.
While planning my family trip to Nicaragua I really had a blast searching and learning all about this incredible country. Below you will find a lot of the interesting and fun facts I learned.
Nicaragua Fun Facts
1. Nicaragua is the largest country in Central America.
2. Nicaragua has a reputation for being the safest country in Central America.
3. Nicaragua is the new retirement hotspot for ex-pats, but Costa Rica is still a strong contender.
4. Nicaragua has the largest lake island in the world, it even has two volcanoes in it.
5. Nicaragua has the only freshwater sharks in the world.
6. Leon is the home to the largest cathedral in all of Central America.
8. Masaya Volcano is considered to be one of the most accessible volcanoes in the world.
9. The country’s name comes from Nicarao, he was the chief of the indigenous tribe that lived around present-day Lake Nicaragua before the conquest.
10. Nicaragua was colonized by Spain and Britain so you will find a lot of Mestizo people all over the country.
11. They have always depended on agriculture but are slowly diversifying and tourism is becoming one of the most important ones.
12. The Ruins of León Viejo date back over 500 years, this is one of the oldest cities in the region.
13. They don’t have formal addresses. All you get when you want to get somewhere is directions on what it looks like and what is nearby.
What surprised me most during my Nicaragua Preparations
– Some of the most expensive hotels in the country are in Leon.
– Masaya market is the largest market in Nicaragua. The thing is HUGE!
– Practically all the tiny islands (Isletas) around Granada are for sale and most are in the 7 digits.
– Even though Nicaragua is the only place on Earth with freshwater sharks, they actually haven’t been seen in many years. No one really knows if it’s due to extinction or if they really exist.
Not sure why these were such weird facts to me. Regardless, I am actually on the hunt for more.
Enjoyed this post? Pin it!