There are several reasons why people move to a new country. These include retirement, a new job, or the need to raise your family elsewhere. When deciding to move, you should consider several factors like the location, house, and the cost of living in the new country. Are you planning to move abroad? Getting the best International Health Insurance Plan is among the important steps to this process.
But that’s not all! You should also consider another factor: international health insurance. Be sure to sort out the ex-pat health insurance policy before setting foot in the new country.
Why Do You Need an International Health Insurance?
International health plans like BUPA global medical health insurance cover your medical needs globally. Remember, as an expatriate, you’re excluded from national healthcare coverage. With this, you’ll need to buy a private policy to cater to your medical costs in public and private hospitals.
However, the cost of international medical care is very high. Thus, consider having a major medical cover in place.
Buying an international health insurance policy comes with several benefits to the family. These include:
- High benefit limits
- Worldwide coverage
- Customizable plans
- Guaranteed renewals
- 24/7 support across the globe
- Large healthcare provider networks
What to Look for When Buying International Health Insurance Policy?
Shopping for the best insurance plan is an important task. However, it can also be incredibly daunting. With the ever-changing information, policies, and prices, selecting the right plan can be very confusing. Though the exercise is a personalized endeavor, there are few things that every health-insurance shopper should consider before buying a new plan. These include:
- Your Needs
Yes, you want to purchase an international health insurance policy from leading insurers like GeoBlue health insurance. But before you start, ask yourself what you want to include in this policy. You can ask yourself these questions.
- Do you need inpatient, outpatient care, or both?
- Do you need dental and vision medical services?
- Are you looking for maternity and family insurance?
Be very honest when answering these questions. It’ll help you buy an insurance policy that meets your specific needs. But remember, the increasing the benefits in your policy, the higher the insurance premiums.
Further, consider the frequency of your travels. For instance, if you’ll be traveling a lot, then global health coverage is the ideal policy to buy.
Elysium Healthcare in Los Angeles is a great place that works with many different insurance policies. Look here for more info.
- Get a Plan that Covers Your Destination
Yes, you want an international health cover. But what does ‘international’ mean? Does it mean insurance cover in all countries or some select ones? Get a provider that’s straightforward on any excluded destinations.
- Pre-Existing Medical Condition
Do you have a pre-existing medical condition? Then look for an insurance policy that covers this condition.
Well, insurance companies seldom cover any pre-existing medical condition. And the ones that do, charge you extra money to cover them.
Before you buy the policy, understand what it does and doesn’t cover. With this, you’ll avoid unexpected healthcare costs. Also, don’t move from one global health to another unless you’re sure it’ll cover an existing medical condition or ongoing treatment.
- Long-Term or Short-Term Coverage?
Many people don’t know the difference between long-term and short-term medical coverage. And yes, the insurance benefits vary depending on the plan you select. For instance, long-term plans provide more coverage options including vision and dental benefits.
So, start by identifying whether:
- You’re going for a short-term trip, less than a year, or multiple international trips throughout the year. If this is the case, then short-term insurance coverage also known as travel medical insurance is the best option.
- Will you spend more than a year outside your country of residence? Then long-term coverage, also known as international medical insurance is the best policy to buy.
- Check the Plan Benefits
Take time to read and re-read insurance benefit summaries. If something is unclear, seek guidance and assistance from the insurer’s customer care department.
And yes, the insurer should assign you a friendly and helpful customer service team. The team should answer all your questions satisfactorily.
These are the benefits to consider when buying an insurance plan.
- The Maximum Limit: how much will the insurance company pay overtime to satisfy claims on the policy you buy?
- Emergency Evacuation: if you become seriously ill or suffer severe injuries, will the insurance policy cater for medical evacuations?
- The Adventure Sports Coverage: do you intend to participate in any adventure? Well, insurers define “adventure sports” differently. Read and understand the definition of these terms.
- Exclusion: what conditions are excluded from medical coverage? Carefully review this part to ensure that none of these exclusions apply to your case. If in doubt, call the insurer to confirm.
- The deductible: it’s the amount that you must satisfy before the insurer begins to pay for benefits. Choose the deductible depending on your budget and personal preferences.
Are you planning to move abroad? Getting the best international health insurer is among the important steps to this process. That’s because you need the right coverage to take care of yourself at an affordable rate.