According to recent research, almost 80 million Americans went camping between 2014 and 2019. In 2020 alone, over 40 million people went camping. There’s no doubt that Americans love to go on these trips, especially with their families.
Camping with your family can be a great way to bond as a group. It’s also a great way to get away from the hustle and bustle of city life and enjoy nature. When camping with your family, you’ll have plenty of time to talk and share stories about past experiences together. You can also make new memories by sharing stories about what happened during your trip.
Camping is also an excellent way for kids to learn how to work together as a team. Kids will learn how to pitch their tents, build their fires, cook food, and more.
So, it’s clear that going camping is one of the most exciting and fun-filled activities you can enjoy with your family. To make it so and ensure that the trip is a success, here are a few tips from my end that will surely enhance the family camping experience.
#1 Decide On a Time and Place
Deciding on a time and place for the family camping trip is the most important step in planning. You need to choose a location that is accessible, affordable, and safe for all members of your family. There are many factors to consider when choosing a location, including:
- The Weather: If you are going to be camping during the colder months of the year, you will want to make sure that there are plenty of shelters available and that you have enough supplies to keep everyone warm. June, July, September, and October are usually the months most people go camping in the States. However, you can also wait for the weather to be a bit colder and then go camping.
- Distance from Your Home: You might not want to travel too far away from your home, especially if you have small children. If they don’t like the trip, you can quickly return to your house then.
- Size of Your Group: Not all campgrounds can accommodate large families. So, you will have to decide on a place that’s big enough to accommodate your family members and whatever activities you plan on enjoying while there.
Related Read: How to Plan a Family Camping Trip
#2 Pack Your Meals and Clothing Essentials
Here are a few things to remember when packing meals and essentials for the family camping trip.
- Pack water bottles that are easy to carry and easy to refill. You can bring stainless steel ones which you can refill at the campsite. Plastic pollution in camping areas is a common problem. So, avoid plastic bottles and utensils as much as you can.
- Make sure everyone has a flashlight or headlamp. They’ll come in handy if it gets dark before everyone returns to the tent from their adventures.
- Bring enough food for everyone, but don’t take too much. You can bring dry snacks but also something you can cook. Cooking or arranging a barbecue while camping is a great way to bond with your family.
Related Read: Camping Checklist and Essentials
#3 Take a First-Aid Kit
The first aid kit is essential for any family camping trip. It’s the one item you can’t leave behind, no matter what.
First aid kits are crucial for emergencies that could arise on a camping trip, such as cuts from sharp objects or an allergic reaction to something in the woods. It’s also important to have a first aid kit on hand because many common illnesses can be contracted while camping, like diarrhea and food poisoning.
#4 Get Tents of the Right Sizes
It’s important to get the tent sizes right when planning your family’s camping trip. Make sure you have enough space for everyone to sleep comfortably in their own tent. You should also make sure that each family member has a separate sleeping bag so they can keep their own things safe and sound.
If you’re going camping with children, make sure they have enough room to play outside. The best way to do this is by making sure you have enough space between the tents, so everyone has plenty of room to move around in their own area without getting into anyone else’s space.
Related Read: Camping With Teens Successfully
#5 Plan For Family Activities At the Campsite
Planning exciting family activities for your camping trip will help you to make the most of your time with your family. Decide which activities you want to do together as a family. You may want to hike, swim, or just relax together around the campfire. Everyone must agree on how much time they want to spend doing each activity so that everyone feels like they’ve gotten what they came for out of the trip.
Going camping with your family is one of the most exciting and fulfilling experiences you can ever have. So, the next time you plan such a trip, remember these points to make the most out of the experience.