This might be a controversial thing in some parts of Central America but here it goes! I’m not the biggest fan of corn tortillas.
There! I said it! I find them a bit bland and too ordinary. However, when you prepare them in some cool way that gives them a bit more flavor.
But if you think about it, it’s their blandness that also makes them extremely versatile. In my opinion, adding a bit of cheese to the mix, makes all the difference. You can eat your tortillas with a traditional drink like Costa Rican frescos.
Cheese Tortilla Recipe
- 2 cups corn flour (Masa)
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese (or any kind of cheese that melts and mixes well)
- 1.5 cups of warm water
- Salt to taste
- Mixing bowl
- 2 plastic sheets
- Small, nonstick frying pan
- Piece of thick cloth
- Cutting board
Here is How to Cook It Up!
1. In a bowl mix up the cornflour (masa) and cheese with the salt and one teaspoon of oil.
2. Start slowly adding the warm water until you form a firm dough. You might not have to use it all.
3. Form small balls of masa that you can hold perfectly within your palms.
4. One by one, place them between the plastic sheets and use the flat side of a cutting board to squeeze each ball until it looks like a round, thin sheet.
5. Grease the pan using a paper towel and a bit of oil. Then pre-heat.
6. Place each of those sheets into the pan and cook at medium heat until they are golden on both sides.
Pro Tip: If your tortillas crack on one or both sides, your dough might be too dry, so add al little more water the next time.
Learn to Serve It Up!
In some of the Latin countries, like Mexico and Guatemala, tortillas go with EVERYTHING!!! It doesn’t matter whether you are having eggs, meat, beans, salsa, salad, plain or a number of other food concoctions. They are also eaten all-day long.
So, it’s totally up to you. but if you want my advice, I highly recommend that you have these with guacamole, refried beans and/or some kind of pico de Gallo.
So, when trying this recipe, add a Pinch of Imagination and a Sprinkle of Creativity! I’m sure you will come up with some of the tastiest variations.
Tortilla fusions are yet to be discovered, so I say live a little. Add herbs and spices to the mix. Give them flavor and life.
Enjoyed this post? Pin it!