The Toucans are these colorful and abundant tropical birds that can be found in Guatemala’s forests, especially in the areas of Peten and Alta Verapaz. They are widely known for having large, and often colorful beaks, but that’s only one of the amazing facts toucans can have. They are usually found in South and Central America in the canopy of the rainforest.
This country has many great habitats where the toucan can live happily. Making Guatemala a great location for wildlife traveling. Not only toucans, but a huge variety of animals can be spotted in Guatemala. Also, a good amount of tourists are making their way to the country to do many outdoor activities like bird watching, camping, hiking, wildlife viewing, and many more.
Here are some things you have to know about them:
Facts About Toucans
1. They are scattered around Southern Mexico, Central, South American, and Caribbean regions.
2. The colorful, giant bill, can measure more than half the length of the body, which is what made them famous.
3. Their bill is very light, they are made of bone struts filled with spongy tissue of keratin between them.
4. Researchers have discovered that the large bill of the toucan is used to regulate their body temperature.
5. They are omnivorous that mainly eat fruit, but whenever they can, they like to eat insects, small lizards, and smaller bird’s eggs.
6. They can live up to 20 Years.
7. Toucans are one of the noisiest jungle birds, with a croak like a frog that can be heard for half a mile.
8. Their toes are arranged in pairs, with the first and fourth turned backward. This is what helps them to stand on branches.
9. Males and females are the same color; it’s almost impossible to recognize which is which unless you are an expert.