The popularity of electric bikes has increased to such an extent that many people are turning to them. If you are one of them, you may find the selection process difficult due to the number of e-bike types.
Electric bikes come in many different types, such as:
- Pedal-assist E-bikes
- Throttle-controlled E-bikes
- Folding E-bikes
- Mountain E-bikes
- City E-bikes
- Cargo E-bikes
- Performance E-bikes
See, there are nearly seven to eight types of electric bikes, and all of them have their own distinct characteristics. However, if you think it’ll be difficult for you to choose one of them, stay tuned.
In this article, I’ll go over all the different electric bike types to help you narrow down your options.
What Is the Difference Between Electric Bikes?
For those looking for a convenient mode of transportation, an electric bike can be the perfect solution. You can go for a basic pedal-assist e-bike or or for a himiway all-terrain step through electric bike.
Basically, what kind of e-bike you want completely depends on you. But if you have very little idea about electric bikes, then it can be tough for you to find the right one.
That is, there are many differences that you’ll find between electric bikes. Some of them are:
- Purpose of using e-bike (commuting, leisure, off-road, and more)
- Battery capacity
- Motor power
- Comfort facility
- Carrying capacity and so on.
As you can see, there are many things that contribute to the differences between electric bike types. And, since there’s no one-size-fits-all electric bike, you’ll have to research all bikes to find the right one.
Related Read: Benefits of Using Electric Bikes
Discover the Different Types of Electric Bikes [Explained in Depth]
Here is the main part, which is an in-depth overview of different types of electric bikes. You already know that electric bikes have nearly seven to eight types, and I’ll discuss all of them in detail in the following section:
Pedal-assist e-bikes are basic types of electric bikes that provide power assistance only when you pedal the bike. It’ll provide power from the motor and battery and the best part is that you can adjust the assist range.
The power assistance facility makes this bike an excellent option for hills, inclines, rough terrain, and even longer distance riding. Here are some of the pros and cons of pedal-assist e-bikes:
- Pedaling to keep the bike running will improve your physical health
- Pedal-assist e-bikes are good for hill climbing
- This type of bike require less maintenance
- You have to recharge the battery after each ride
Throttle-controlled e-bikes, also called “twist-and-go” bikes, are something that’ll give you a real test of speed. This bike gets direct power assistance from the motor and can go up to 28 mph.
You don’t have to paddle to ride these bikes, and they pretty much look like or the himiway electric moped. Here are some of the pros and cons of throttle-controlled e-bikes:
- Easy to use. Just twist the throttle to activate the bike
- Good for tackling challenging terrain and uphill riding
- A throttle-controlled e-bike is suitable for riders of all abilities
- Less range
- This bike is not legal in many regions
One of the compact and convenient e-bikes that can be stored even in small spaces is a foldable electric bike. It’s a more dependable option for city travel that also offers decent speed and power.
Folding e-bikes are just like throttle-controlled e-bikes, and the difference is you can fold the whole bike. Here are some of the pros and cons:
- Foldable facility makes it easy to store the bike
- This electric bike offer super portability
- Comes with a decent speed and motor power
- Limited battery life
- Foldable electric bikes are a little bit expensive
If you’re looking for an electric bike that will give you a great off-road riding experience, then you need a mountain e-bike. It comes with a long battery and a more powerful motor to give you improved efficiency.
The best part is that this bike will let you cover longer distances and use the motor to get pedal assistance for effortless climbs. Mountain e-bike’s pros and cons:
- The motor deliver additional assistance and power for improved efficiency
- Great for off-road riding
- You can easily cover longer distance
- High speed
- Mountain electric bikes are more heavy
- This bike is restricted in some areas
Like me, if you also live in a congested city, city e-bikes can be the best option for you. This bike is primarily designed for convenience, comfort, and stability. It’ll let you avoid traffic jams and make you physically active as pedaling is necessary.
Moreover, city e-bikes are equipped with everything that you might need to fulfill your riding needs. Some of the pros and cons of city electric bikes are:
- You can easily navigate through busy streets
- It is a more cost-effective option than insurance or gas.
- Make you physically fit due to the pedaling facility
- You can travel faster and cover the long-range
- Heavier than traditional bikes
- The parts are more complex and specialized
Different from others, an electric cargo bike is like a human-powered vehicle that can be helpful to transport loads. You can use this bike to carry cargo, such as groceries, packages, or even children.
Cargo e-bikes have a large front basket or box and a box at the back to carry the necessary items. Pros and cons of cargo e-bikes are:
- Environment-friendly solution to carry your necessary things
- Because of the agile facility, you can easily navigate through traffic
- Cargo e-bike is versatile and multipurpose bike
- Cargo bikes with two wheels are not good for stability
When you want speed and efficiency from an electric bike, then look no further and go for a performance e-bike. This type of bike comes with powerful motor power, a long-range, and a lightweight frame.
Performance e-bikes also offer some advanced features like multiple pedal assist levels, a display screen, integrated lights, and so on. Learn about its pros and cons from the section below:
- Performance e-bikes offer more speed and range
- Multiple pedal assist levels
- digital screen facility
- Use for a variety of purposes
- A performance e-bike is both expensive and heavy
Note: These are the different types of electric bikes, and you have to decide which one you like and which will fulfill your needs.
Throughout this article, I’ve provided in-depth information about different types of electric bikes. So that you can easily learn about all of them and then decide which one to take. Plus, the pros and cons will give you a quick and brief idea about electric bike types and their functionality.