What’s not to love about Calgary? Considered to be one of the crown jewels of Canada, it’s no surprise why more and more citizens are flocking to Alberta’s premier city. Learn all about how to find the perfect vacation rental for your adventures in Calgary, Canada.In this article, you will Calgary tourism. For starts, Calgary is home to:
- Some of the country’s most beautiful scenery, including lakes, parks and the nearby Canadian Rockies
- Culture and community, given the city’s diverse populace and reputation for being a capital for volunteers
- Booming industries such as oil and gas, offering plenty of employment opportunities for potential renters
Photo credit: Manuel Secher
Given the city’s growing reputation, coupled with its safe and vibrant community, finding apartment rentals in Calgary, Canada requires new renters to do their homework. If you’re interested in relocating to Calgary, keep the following apartment hunting tips in mind during your search.
Calgary Tourism – Three Apartment Hunting Tips to Keep in Mind
Be Vigilant and Ask Questions
The recent influx of new residents to Calgary presents a potential problem for new renters: that is, competition for affordable apartments can be fierce at times. Fear not, as there are steps you can take now to ensure your ideal apartment in the future.
Simply put, you need to remain vigilant with your search and start researching sooner rather than later. For example, you should definitely do the following before starting your physical search for a new place:
- Thoroughly read ratings and reviews for potential apartments; however, also take such reviews with a grain of salt
- Compile a quick list of questions you have for your next landlord, perhaps something you can get answered quickly by email
- Consider how much space you need: for example, it may be easier to lock down a one bedroom or studio if you’re willing to compromise space
The three aforementioned tips will give you some ideas as to where you may want to start hunting. Likewise, as apartments in Calgary tend to fill up fast, you want to have as much information as you can on hand to make a quick decision without feeling rushed.
Be Willing to Budge with Your Budget
Apartments in Calgary tend to be on the higher end of the spectrum when it comes to apartment prices in Canada; therefore, don’t be afraid to adjust your budget accordingly. Naturally, nobody wants to pay more for housing; however, you may save yourself from a potential rental nightmare down the road by spending a bit more upfront. With more competition comes more need to compromise.
Lock Down Your Ideal Location
Due to Calgary’s massive population and areas of sprawl, you need to hone your apartment search as much as possible in terms of location. Therefore, rule out areas of the city where you don’t want to live, perhaps based on factors such as your employment or nearby school systems for your children. For example, you may want to live closer to downtown if you rely on public transit; on the flip side, you may want to consider the west side of the city if you’re looking to enjoy the great outdoors.
Finding an affordable apartment in Calgary is certainly possible, granted you search smartly rather than scramble. By doing your homework and understanding exactly what you’re looking for in an apartment before starting your search, you can lock down a place to call home with peace of mind.