Bee Tour Review: Be a Beekeeper For a Day
We live in Antigua, Guatemala, and there are all these beautiful mountains all around us. They’re not huge mountains, I guess, more like hills, and there are all these different types of mountain cabins. One day, my friends and I were passing by this area called the bees cabañas. I was like, what does that mean? We look deeper into it and what they do is they have this huge Bee farm. And you could also stay there in the cabaña, have lunch, or you could just come and do the actual tour of beekeeping and see what bees are all about, and I wanted to share my experience, here’s my bee tour review.
So my friend and I took our sons, and our kids to do this bee tour adventure. It was unbelievable. Probably one of the best tours that I have taken in so long. First, you have to dress up, right? Like, we were going into the area with all the bees where all the action happened, and they have all the different outfits necessary, completely covering you from head to toe. One of our kids was six years old, and they have you completely taken care of.
The Bee Tour
So what’s interesting is the people that take care of the bees, they have this magical connection with the bees. Whatever the magical connection is, I don’t know.
This guy walked into where we were completely, fully decked out. He went in his normal clothes. He was wearing a tee shirt, face wide open. And I guess maybe the bee has bitten him enough for him not to have any reaction to this. Whatever the reason was, first and foremost, none of them touched him.
Secondly, there were thousands of bees. So we started with the bees, learning all about the bees and understanding how the bees work, what their whole housing thing is, and just everything. And we also learned a lot of really cool and interesting, fun facts about bees.
Fun Facts About Bees
- Did you know that bees have five eyes? That’s right, five eyeballs. So they are seeing everything from every direction.
- The only bees that sting are female bees. And you know why? Because female bees are also worker bees. Wherever you see any bees that are around pollinating and doing all the work, it’s female bees.
- The Queen bee, which is obviously another female, they can lay up to almost 2000 eggs per day. Can you believe that? Almost 2000 eggs per day
- Whole Bee colonies start from a Queen Bee. So if a Queen Bee moves, so will they. For you to be able to start a new Bee colony, you need to first have a Queen Bee. Otherwise, it will never happen.
- A Bee produces only a teaspoon of honey, which is less than 5 grams in her entire lifetime. Can you believe that? So to produce a kilogram of honey, bees have to fly the equivalent of three times around the world, literally to be able to give us a kilogram of honey.
- There have been so many things saying that these are aliens and whatnot. But here’s the reality, and this is one of the saddest realities, is that the Bee colonies are dying.
The Importance of Bees
After we did our amazing tour, about a month later, we found out that a competitor Bee colony was in another place which we’re not even sure where it came from, killed all of these other bees that we saw. There were over 2 million bees. So basically, for no reason, just because they were competing. The reality is if bees aren’t pollinating for us and that’s what they do, literally what they’re doing is they’re pollinating, and then they’re taking whatever else to their colonies.
So they are literally the breath of the world. There’s a good movie called The Bee’s Life. It’s a cartoon Bee story and at one point, they show you that without a Bee pollinating and making honey, nothing can survive. We need bees to survive. They don’t hurt us. They only hurt us when we are scared of them. Without bees, we cannot continue giving life to our plants and our trees.
- First and foremost, if you could find a place where you could go and visit a Bee colony and take a tour that is structured and organized, I cannot even tell you how highly I recommend it.
- Secondly, take care of our bees. They really matter if you like honey or not, if you’re vegan or not, whatever your tastes are, that’s not the point. The point is bees are here to help us.
Bees are here to move our world forward, and with today’s climate change and the whole world of all these different problems, having bees, and taking care of our bees is essential. So remember, bees are amazing. If you want to make every day an adventure, doing something like a cool Bee tour will truly, truly make it an adventure for you and also really educate you. So, as you can see, I’m very partial to this whole Bee tour thing.
And I find that it was one of the best things, completely surprising to all of us how great it was,
How to subscribe?
If you subscribe to my podcast you’ll be the first one to know when a new podcast is up!
Did you enjoy the podcast? Leave a Review!
Leave a review on Apple Podcast! They are one of THE most important factors for podcasts, and it’s super easy to do:
- Click on “View in iTunes” on the left-hand side under the picture.
- Leave an honest review.
- Thanks, you’re super!