Needless to say, the Ionian islands are the most popular island group in Greece because of their wonderful beaches, lush green nature, and emerald waters. Positioned on the country’s western side, these islands’ exotic landscape lures hundreds and thousands of tourists every year.
Travelers from all across the world yearn for Ionian & Aegean Villa Holidays knowing it will be a calm and relaxing experience. Some of the most popular holiday islands include names like Corfu, Zakynthos, Kefalonia, Ithaca, Paxi, Kythira, and Lefkada.
If you plan to travel solo to these islands, you are on the right page. After all, the island group is an idyllic destination for a solo adventure because of its natural beauty, vibrant culture, and stunning beaches. Read on to learn all about how to plan a memorable solo vacation on the Ionian Islands.
Reaching the Islands
The most popular route to reach the Ionian islands is to fly there from Athens Airport. Those who would like to take a ferry to these islands can do so from the port of Patras. One can also plan a long and scenic boat trip from Italy during the summer. Some of the islands, such as Corfu, can be accessed by ferries leaving from Greece and Albania ports because of the northern location.
The best time to visit
Although Greece is a popular summer destination, one should avoid the months of July and August because of the crowds and higher expenses. Plan your trip either in June or September when the temperature is more pleasant, and the prices are responsible. Those interested in Greek culture and traditions should consider visiting during spring.
Picking your base island
Setting up a base before embarking on a solo adventure to explore the different Ionian Islands is of utmost importance. You can either choose the northernmost island, Corfu, for a blend of nature, beach holidays, and cultural exploration. Zakynthos would be perfect for both nature enthusiasts and partygoers, while Kefalonia is a great choice for those seeking a quiet and peaceful holiday. Paxos and Antipaxos are some of the smaller, quieter islands for a serene getaway. Lefkada boasts some of the most exotic beaches in Greece and is perfect for travelers who enjoy water sports.
Exploring the islands
As a solo traveler, you can explore and navigate the islands at your own pace and discover some hidden spots and breathtaking viewpoints. You can take the local buses and taxis or rent a car, scooter, or bicycle. You can take water taxis or boasts to hop from one island to another and enjoy each island’s unique attractions.
Enjoy an array of experiences
The Ionian Islands are famous for their stunning landscapes and beautiful beaches; each carries a unique character and has something special to offer visitors.
- Lefkada’s Porto Katsiki is worth the effort because the dramatic coastline with white cliffs and deep blue sea creates a striking contrast. Embark on a picturesque drive to the lighthouse on Lefkada’s southern tip.
- With several small coves, Corfu offers an adventurous experience to visitors who love its incredible neoclassical architecture, Venetian Castles, and cosmopolitan vibes. The Old Town of Corfu is a UNESCO World Heritage Site with several forts and buildings.
- Antikythera offers an off-the-beaten-track experience as one gets to swim and snorkel at beautiful wild beaches like Xiropotamos and Kamarela. Hike to Apolytara Lighthouse and visit the archaeological site of Kastro and enjoy the popular traditional festival of the panegyric of Agios Mironas.
- Kefalonia island boasts a rich history, religious sites such as St. Gerasimos Monastery, and impressive architecture. The mountainous island is famous for its outstanding beaches and is ideal for relaxed and cosmopolitan holidays because of its beautiful beaches, such as Myrtos.
- Ithaca is just perfect for solo travellers looking for relaxed vacations on beautiful beaches. Visit the impressive Katharon Monastery and the smaller coastal villages along the beaches. Take your time to stroll around the quaint town, which is the homeland of the mythical Odysseus.
- Zakynthos, a famous Greek island is ideal for travers who enjoy night bars and partying. With plenty of beautiful beaches, there are several places of interest on the island such as National Marine Park and Shipwreck.
Enjoy the local food and cuisine
When traveling solo, you get the perfect opportunity to enjoy the foods you want without compromise. This is your chance to taste the different traditional dishes of the Ionian Islands and enjoy the flavours.
- Sofrito – A traditional savoury dish of veal with a unique blend of flavors as it is cooked in white wine and garlic sauce.
- Pastitsada – The pasta dish in tomato sauce comes with a Corfiot twist and comes in different variations, just like any other traditional dish.
- Kreatopita– You will love the meat pie with layers of dough seasoned with herbs and spices.
- Bourdeto – The signature spicy fish dish is said to have been passed down from Venetian time and is cooked in a tomato sauce wight lots of red pepper.
- Korfiatiki – You must try Korfiatiki, which is a local cheese with bread, and use it with honey for a sweet-savoury experience.
- Corfiot ginger beer – You will love the fermented and refrigerated organic ginger ale soda locals enjoy on the streets, under the shady porches.
Safety tips as a solo traveller
- While the Ionian Islands are very safe, just like with any other holiday destination, one must take some precautions for their safety.
- Let your friends and family know of your travel itinerary and when you plan to leave and come back.
- Keep a list of emergency numbers, embassy details, and valuable local contacts handy in case of any need.
- Stay well connected at all times, carry a working mobile phone navigation app, and use maps where necessary.
- As the Mediterranean sun can be hot, staying well-hydrated and protected at all times is essential. Drink plenty of water and protect your skin with sunscreen.
- Familiarize yourself with the local etiquette and customs of the islands to show that you are aware of the culture and respect local customs.
Connect with fellow travellers and locals
One of the great joys of solo traveling is that you are free to do whatever you want and can plan local activities that you are interested in. For example, it is a good idea to start conversations with locals in cafes or markets. Enrol in cooking classes or volunteer to make closer connections with the locals. That interaction will lead to meaningful connections and create some unique and wonderful memories.
The Ionian Islands, with their serene landscapes, are the perfect backdrop for solo travel. Enjoy moments of solitude and reflection as you gaze at the sunset over the sea and embark on a journey of solitude and reflection.
Last Updated on August 24, 2023