If you book a room or a suite in one of the many luxury resorts Pattaya has to offer, you are virtually guaranteed to be close to the sea. However, with so many great beaches in the vicinity there’s no need to restrict yourself to just one for the duration of your holiday. Rent a car or book a Grab and explore some of the best beaches that Thailand has to offer while you’re here. To get you started, here’s 5 of the most relaxing spots to top up your tan while you’re here, all of which are within easy reach of central Pattaya.
- Naklua Beach – To the north of Pattaya City is Naklua Beach, which offers a more laid back atmosphere than the main Pattaya Beach. Here you can spend the day on a sun lounger close to a beach bar and feel your worries slip away. If you’re feeling a little more active, you can rent a fishing boat and see what you can catch in the local waters. Whilst it’s definitely a more relaxing place to be than central Pattaya, Naklua Beach has become quite popular in recent years so if you’re looking for peace and solitude, one of the other options in our list may be preferable.
- Wongamat Beach – At the northern end of Naklua Beach is Wongamat Beach, which is widely praised for being one of the cleanest and most scenic beaches in Pattaya. There are a number of luxury resorts adjacent to this beach but wherever you’re staying in Pattaya, you’ll be within a short taxi ride from Wongamat. This beach is very popular with families so if you’re planning a luxury break for you and your children, you might want to pencil in a visit or two during your stay. With small fishing boats still plying their trade from this spot, Wongamat Beach retains a very local feel that you won’t find at most of the larger beaches in the area.
- Bang Saen Beach – Although it’s actually around 29 miles north of central Pattaya, we felt we had to include Bang Saen Beach in our list. You can reach it in 40 minutes or so by car from Pattaya and when you get there, you’ll understand what all the fuss is about. Popular with both locals and visitors from overseas, Bang Saen has a more authentic Thai vibe than many other beaches in the area. The southern end of this beautiful beach is very peaceful and is a great place to watch the sunset over the crystal clear waters at the end of a relaxing day.
- Bang Saray Beach – About 15 miles in the other direction is Bang Saray, a quiet town with an idyllic sandy beach offering views across the gulf waters to the sparkling skyline of Pattaya and Jomtien. In contrast to those more developed locations, the area around Bang Saray Beach consists mainly of single-storey buildings and offers an altogether more chilled atmosphere. There’s still plenty to do here though: Bang Saray is a popular scuba diving destination, with tropical sea life and sunken ships to explore in the waters immediately off the beach.
- Tien Beach, Koh Larn Beach – If you are staying at one of the centrally located luxury resorts in Pattaya, the island of Koh Larn is just a 15-minute ferry ride away. On pristine white sand lapped by warm tropical waters, you can enjoy panoramic views from what many consider to be the most beautiful beach on the island. Owing to the fact it can only be reached via a small footbridge, Tien Beach is still relatively unspoilt and attracts less visitors than some of the more easily accessible coastal spots on the island. This beach, and others on the island, are very popular with honeymooners: if you’re planning a romantic getaway, Koh Larn should definitely be on your itinerary.
Once you have explored all of the above locations, you might like to try Samae, Beach, Bamboo Beach and, of course, Pattaya Beach as well. With great weather guaranteed, a well established tourism industry and lots of friendly locals, you are bound to have a great time no matter which beaches you decide to visit during your stay.