The Philippines is an extremely rich place with tons of things to do. There are natural beauties, beaches, exciting tours, and lively cities.
Plus the culture of its people is extremely rich and somewhat different from the one of the surrounding Asian countries. Making it a great, well-rounded destination. But not a lot of people know about the actual facts and interesting things about the country. So I’m sharing some with you.
Facts That Will Make You Want to Visit the Philippines
- Philippines was the first in Southeast Asia to gain independence after World War II.
- 16 new species of mammals were discovered in the country in the last 10 years.
- The country is named after King Philip II of Spain
- The world record for most women breastfeeding at the same time was set in Manila on May 4, 2006.
- 3 of the 10 largest shopping malls in the world are in the Philippines.
- The the “Pearl of Lao Tzu” (world’s largest pearl) was discovered by a Filipino diver in the Palawan Sea in 1934.
- It is the only majority Christian nation in Asia.
- Most Filipinos are extremely superstitious.
- It is considered rude to open gifts immediately after they are given.
- The popular toy yo-yo had its beginnings as an ancient Filipino hunting weapon.
- There are between 120 and 175 different languages spoken in the Philippines.
- The Puerto Princesa Subterranean River in Palawan is the second longest in the world.
- The Philippines is the second largest archipelago in the world.
- The karaoke machine was first patented by a Filipino.
- In Camiguin, there are more volcanoes than towns. With a ration of 7 to 5.
- Jellyfish Lake is around 12,000 years old and is home to 13 million of them.
- Its capital, Manila, is considered the world’s most densely populated city in the world.
- Basketball is the most popular sport in the Philippines.
- Population in the Phillippines experienced a growth of 1.6% in 2018.
There is much more to be said about the country. There arre only some of the facts that I found extremely interesting about it. Will you be visitin the Philippines soon?