The idea of camping for me comes encased in labored tent pitching and uncomfortable sleeping arrangements, unless you plan on hauling huge sleeping pads or 30 pound air mattresses. Considering that the last time I truly went camping was over 20 years ago and on a college student’s budget, I might have been overlooking the more comfortable equipment available.
However, I do have to say that today the options for equipment are so cool that even if you are like me, a non camper, you want to buy it all and go on a hard core adventure.
OK, maybe not hard core, or at least not right away, but if you’re going to start doing any outdoor overnight activities go for the good stuff.
One thing I have learned over the years, and this holds true for anything I buy these days, spending a little more on quality will be cheaper in the end. Cheap stuff is exactly that, cheap. And after a few uses you can kiss your cheap product good bye.
So my outdoor adventure shopping begins first with a family friendly tent, then the sleeping arrangements. And when I say arrangements, that’s exactly what I mean. A good sleeping bag is only part of it. The second part is what to put under your sleeping bag that will be not take up any room, be super comfortable and also keep you warm if the ground and air is cold.
That’s how I found Therm-a-Rest! They offer many state-of-the-line camping needs, with a strong emphasis on sleeping bags and insulated air mattresses.
Therm-a-Rest Sleeping Bag and Air Mattress Designed Especially for Women
Women and men are built differently. That’s kind of a no brainer. Although few companies have truly embraced this and focused on women sizes. Instead most of the sleeping bags I found had unisex designs which always has the man in mind first.
That’s why I was instantly hooked when I saw that Therm-a-Rest has three different styled sleeping bags for women.
I ended up with the Mira HD Three Season Women’s Down Sleeping bag.
1. Down – I’m a huge down fan. All our blankets at home are down. Even though we live in Guatemala, sub tropical weather, it can get chilly. Or it can be warm. Down is good for all weathers. Plus, it is so light.
2. Three season – Getting me to camp in the best conditions can be a challenge. I can guarantee I won’t be going camping in frigid weather any time soon. So there was absolutely no need for four season sleeping bag for me.
3. Light – as mentioned before, down is super light weight. And when I received the sleeping bag, it was lighter than I thought it would be. And takes up barely any room at all.
4. Sleep Guarantee – I know this is a silly reason, but Therm-a-Rest actually has a better sleep guarantee. And I’m a huge believer that sleep is everything. If I don’t get a good night’s sleep, I am not a happy camper – ever.
5. Mattress amenity – what’s this? At the bottom of my sleeping bag comes two huge belt like materials which are specifically for the inflatable mattresses that I bought as well. So technically, it’s made for them to go together.
Inflatable Camping Air Mattress
Aforementioned, carrying around a heavy air mattress when traveling is nothing more than a burden and can really take away from the joy of traveling (light). I instantly fell in love with their NeoAir All Season Inflatable mattress.
This time I decided to go for the all season option because one things for sure, the ground can get cold and can seep into your sleep. For a tiny bit more, getting the four season one made a lot of sense.
But here are some of the best features to it:
1. Weight – 2.3 ounces. That’s nothing. My five year old can carry that around and not complain.
2. Size – once it’s deflated it rolls up into a tiny cylinder like object with a tiny bag. Both fit perfectly into the sleeping bag pouch.
3. Technology – this actually fascinates me. What people can invent these days. They use a Triangular Core Matrix™ technology which creates over 100 insulating cells and multiple ThermaCapture layers to capture radiant heat, resulting in an incredibly high R-value.
4. Pump – it comes with a teeny tiny pump that blows it up for you in seconds.
5. Comfort – once blown up, it’s so comfortable. I’m not kidding. After we took it for a test run with our camping trip, we stayed in some hotels and my son preferred sleeping on the mattress over the comfy beds. Yes, it really is that comfortable.
6. A Perfect Fit – the mattress is designed to be part of the sleeping bag. This way you have no way of slipping off of it in the middle night. An ingenious idea.
This new set of mine has changed my way of thinking when it comes to camping. And I’m so grateful for it. I feel a whole new world has opened up to me.
And yes, the price is a bit higher than for other sleeping bags. But it’s worth every penny. And I know this will last me for a lifetime if not more.
If you’re traveling with a baby, check out these great options for mattress for Graco Pack ‘n Play.