Kids are always saying they wish they can grow up and be adults. Well, somebody heard them and Divercity was born. Up until very recently this different type of attraction was only in South America, but is now in Guatemala City as well.
Until I received my itinerary from INGUAT, Instituto Guatemalteco de Turismo (Guatemala’s Tourism Board and Institue), I never even heard of this place. So that made it that much more fun when we arrived.
Divercity Guatemala is literally a city (indoors). Fully functioning and specifically for kids taking on the roles of adults.
What Divercity Guatemala Is All About
Here’s my take on what Divercity is and how to get around it best.
- When you arrive you have to get a bracelet to get in. Since this place is geared for kids to be independent the bracelet also plays as a GPS for finding your kids.
- NOTE: I came here with my ten year old and four year old. The ten year old has a blast, however there wasn’t much to do for the four year old. And he always wanted either me around him or his older brother.
- Once inside it is literally a city. It has streets, bus stops, businesses, work places and even an airplane.
- When you buy the tickets you also get $200 divis (which is the money used inside divercity). You have to go directly to the bank, inside, and change it over to the real divis to use.
- There are over 50 professions kids can choose from.
- When you go into a store front for a profession you can get paid.
- If you do a recreational activity like climbing or rafting you have to pay
- The wait for each one is anywhere from 15 – 20 minutes. Since that is how long the turns are. If you get out of line you lose your place. So a lot of time is spent waiting. Also, they only take 6- 8 kids per turn so sometimes you have to wait several turns.
- NOTE: The bracelets only work when the kids are inside doing an activity. Since at times the wait can can be between anywhere between 10-20 minutes, you won’t be able to locate your child unless you go to the service desk and ask for them.
- You can also get your drivers license. You have to pay for this. However, once you get your license, you can come back with it as much as you want and simply show that license.
- Then you can go driving.
- Parents can hang out on the main floor there is a place for them to sit and eat. But even better, upstairs is the Parent’s Daycare.
- The ‘Daycare’ has comfy coaches, TV and wifi.
- Duration – since the waits are so long and there are literally over 50 places to visit, you can easily spend over six hours here if not eight or ten.
- Safety is super important here – the kids can not leave the place unless the ‘responsible’ adult is with them and this is all computerized.
This sums it up more or less. The idea is great, and older kids can really feel responsible.
Information for Divercity Guatemala
Address: Kilometro 15.5 Carretera a El Salvador Mall Pradera Concepción, Guatemala
Phone:+502 2268 0000
Hours: Saturday and Sundays: 9:00 a.m. a 8 p.m
Tuesday to Thursday: 9:00 a.m. a 5:30p.m
Price: Kids Q125; Adults Q60