Can you really get the words affordable, delicious and kid friendly into one sentence when describing a NYC restaurant? I honestly didn’t think that is a possibility. Sure kid friendly exists here, but affordable as in less than $10 for a delicious huge meal that a child will devour? Have to admit, it is a challenge.
After having non-successful dining out experiences with my kids either because the restaurant was a bit too posh for young kids or the kid friendly themes were huge rip offs, I was literally throwing my arms up in the air.
And if anyone knows NYC, even though it is considered a ‘walking city’ this is usually said by people without young kids. So the idea of simply walking around and hoping to find good eats is way more challenging with two picky eaters.
Deduction is the way of life for me when it comes to finding fun places to eat with my boys:
1. What will make any kid happy – hamburgers, mac and cheese, pizza, hot dogs
2. Affordability – I actually have no qualms paying top dollar for good food. But there is always a huge ‘I don’t want to eat it’ after it was ordered and sitting in front of the kid scenario with my boys which makes me ill to my stomach after I find out the dish is around $25 that could’ve been spent on something truly worthwhile.
3. Fun atmosphere and casual – what parent doesn’t love it when their kids can be kids and do their thing without worrying that the customers will freak out
4. Location, Location, Location – in NYC location is truly relative to where you are. Since we were near the UN building on the East side (mid area), it would be outrageously inconvenient to look for a restaurant on the upper West Side where you would need to take a subway or bus or taxi. By the time we would arrive there, I’d just want to go home from the headache of getting there in the first place.
Why Scnhippers Came on my Radar and Should Be On Yours Too
In NYC you don’t go to an actual restaurant for pizza, since the best pizza joints are small and on every corner. And quite frankly after eating pizza for the past two days I was ready for another meal. Hamburgers became the new mantra in our house all of a sudden and I searched feverishly on the web where to get all the above elements for a fun dinner out with my boys.
Looking in the area of where we were Schnippers ranked high on all the websites I normally look for recommendations. So after too many signs from the Universe to give it a shot, we headed out.
Schnippers actually has three locations, and one was literally a two block walk from where we were staying. The Lexington Avenue spot was right on.
Schnippers was just right. The fact that you order at the counter and don’t have to spend too much time waiting for a waiter to take your order, was an automatic high-five for me.
There is wait service though. They bring you your order to the table. And the staff is great. Super friendly, not at all like a fast food place. The feel of the restaurant is fast food, but the food is delicious, old-fashioned US style and you can spend as much time as you want at the table! And there is alcohol.
Also, I don’t know about you, but I love to hear what the signature dishes of each restaurant are. And even this was simplified for you. The waiters wear the top choices on their backs.
And of course, I had to try one of each. Mac & Joe is a mac and cheese dish with sloppy joe on the side. My baby loved the mac and cheese and I finished off the sloppy joe.
Did I mention that the portions are enormous.
Old fashioned, hearty, huge burgers with all sorts of toppings were by far their speciality. I’m not a big burger fan, but OMG these were the juiciest burgers I’ve ever tasted. And in this particular location, they have their classic burger with special sauce and caramelized onions. We ended up ordering two burgers for my son, which is amazing, he never eats that much (well he had a little bit of help from me).
There is a huge assortment of sandwiches, but I got the chicken grilled sandwich with sweet potato fries that came with a special sauce. I think this was my favorite by far.
I tried the salted caramel shake, which I think is an acquired taste, and also for people who are into the salty sweet combination. I’m more of a sweet sweet combination gal.
Fun Facts about Schnippers
And of course, I also look for a place to eat with a fun backstory.
Schnippers is known to serve good old-fashioned American food.
The founders are the Schnipper brothers, Andrew and Jonathan. And they are considered amazing bosses and owners. The staff was telling me that they are always hands-on and do most of the cooking and chatting up with the customers. We arrived a bit late to meet them, they usually work the lunch hour we came for dinner.
- Before opening up Schnippers the bros traveled the country trying all sorts of local food and that’s how they came up with the Schnipper’s Menu.
Information to Visit Schnippers
Schnippers has three really convenient locations. Their most famous one is Times Square. If you are in that area, definitely head over for yummy food. We went to the Lexington Ave. one but they also have one on the Lower East Side as well.
But the best burger can only be found at the Lex Ave location.
Address: 570 Lexington at 50th, New York
Phone: 212 826 8100
Hours: M-F 10:30 AM – 10 PM; Sat & Sun 11 AM – 9 PM
Prices: from $3 to $10