When traveling by air there are some things that you should keep in mind regarding to your luggage that I think might be useful for any traveler. Here are some of those things:
1) Before booking a flight find out what the limits are in terms of size, weight and contents for hand baggage.
2) One thing you have to know and accept is the fact that your luggage may be opened by airport security staff.
Read more Central America travel Tips before going.
3) To make your trip easier and more relaxed make the bags that you are going to check in distinctive. Add something to them so you can easily identify them when on a luggage carousel.
4) If you are carrying a laptop you will need to keep it with you as hand luggage, this is when recommendation number one becomes important.
5) You should be prepared in case your luggage gets lost, so always keep essentials in your hand luggage.