Either green or common iguanas are the largest lizards of America. They can be found in rain forests from Northern Mexico, Central America and the Caribbean Islands. In Costa Rica you can find them almost everywhere. Today I give you some fun facts about these friendly reptiles:
1. When they are young they eat leaves, fruits, flowers snails and insects but as they grow they shift to a 95% vegetation diet.
2. They live in places where the water is abundant, like tropical rain forests.
3. These guys are able to hold their breath for up to 30 minutes.
4. TheyÂ can fall for 40 to 50 meters without being injured.
5. They are great tree jumpers, their tail does the trick.
6. The bag they have under their jaw works as a camel’s hump. It stores fat in order to survive in case they can’t find food.
7. Green Iguanas are venomous however their venom is not produced in sufficient quantities to be harmful to humans.
8. Their tail weights 20 pounds or more.