We have all heard about these funny, beautiful and colorful birds. The best places to find the Scarlet Macaw in Costa Rica is Carara National Park and the Osa Peninsula. Here are some secrets about them that you might like to know:
1. They can live up to 30 years but if they are captive that number can grow until 75 years.
2. Their preferred habitats are the sub tropical and tropical rain forest.
Find the best places to see Scarlet Macaws in Costa Rica.
3. The Macaw’s diet consists of a lot of seeds but what they really love are the tropical fruits.
4. Among other things their peak is used to get the soft inner part of the seeds and to protect itself against predators.
5. Their eyes can let you know if they are young or old, when they are young they have black eyes and when they are old they have yellow eyes.
6. There are 17 species of macaws, and several are endangered.
7. Scarlet Macaws can measure almost a meter, they can be between 81 and 97 centimeters long, including the tail.