Guatemala as the rest of Central American countries has a bad reputation, and you do need to be on your guard. The thing is it’s really no more dangerous than any other large city in a developing country, so don’t get paranoid.
Any way you might want to avoid being preyed upon by pickpockets and other unsavory characters, so here are a couple advices:
Get more tips for traveling in Guatemala.
- Leave expensive jewelry and watches at home,
- Don’t carry purses, camera bags and phones or carry them close to your body,
- Take along only as much cash as you need,
- Carry a photocopy of your passport, leaving the original in your hotel safe,
- At night stick to well-lighted and transited areas.