When you travel around the Central American countries you will notice that most of them have similar food. Most of their dishes are based on corn, spicy sauces, plantains, beans and in some areas coconut and seafood. However, if you pay close attention, each still manages to do things in their own unique way.
13 of My favorite Dishes of Costa Rican Cuisine
1. Gallo Pinto – This is hands down the essential Costa Rican dish.
2. Arroz con Pollo | Chicken and Rice When you ask for it at a local eatery you will get a bowl of rice with shereded chicken.
3. Guacamole – We all know and love this one! But Costa Rican seem to have an even strongr love for it than most of us.
4. Ensalada de Repollo | Cabbage Salad – They use it as a side dish to almost everything.
5. Papa Rellena | Stuffed Potatoes – These are backed potatoes stuffed with beans, chese, chicken.
6. Tamales | The Christmas Traditional Meal – There is one or several reciped of this one in each Central American Country.
7. Platano Frito | Fried Plantains – Now this one is dfinitely no exlusive to Costa Rica but you can find them pretty much anywhere.
8. Patacones | Green Plantain Crisps – Everyone’s favorite snack.
9. Yuca Frita – It is another of the local’s favorite snack.
10. Picadillo de Papa | Potato Hash – This is not you average hashbrown. They are cut in cubes and soooo spicy.
11. Arroz con Leche | Rice Custard – An amazing desert that you can find pretty much anywhere.
12. Tres Leches – Cold and wet cake made with different kinds of milk and tons of cinnamon.
13. Flan de Coco – The tastier flan that you will ever try.