You know what is great about traveling to beach destinations, when it’s off season? You get to enjoy gorgeous resorts without the nuttiness of the crowds.
And that’s exactly what my husband and I did when we stayed at Founders Inn and Spa in Virginia, on our short romantic getaway.
One of the main reasons I narrowed my sights on this luxury spot, at first, was because we were planning on traveling with our puppy.
Unfortunately, due to international regulations, we had to cancel her trip very last minute but by then I was excited to visit the resort regardless if she was coming or not.
But I must say, out of all the hotels we’ve stayed in before that were pet friendly, this hotel is by far the friendliest. They have their own dog park. You can walk with your dog in all parts of the hotel.
Once we arrived, the grounds were truly impressive. The hotel literally looks as though you have entered the Colonial Era. Every aspect of the inside was thought out in perfect detail.
The rooms had cozy beds and fireplaces.
Even though it was January, and Virginia, it got quite chilly at night so we were able to enjoy the fireplace. And even the gym with the lovely indoor pool.
What we loved most about Founders Inn and Spa
No joke. From the minute we entered and were greeted by Brandon, the front desk receptionist (I remembered his name because it’s the same as my oldest). He was a star. Seriously. So attentive, helpful and made sure our stay was better than expected.
Then we had dinner at one of their two restaurants. For dinner we headed to the Hunt Room, which is more casual and bar like, but the menu was similar to the main restaurant. And yummy!
For breakfast, they offer in the main restaurant – Swan Terrace Grill – southern style buffet. And the service makes you want to come back again and again. You can get the breakfast included in your hotel room, or decide there if you want to eat it. And for less than $15 per person – trust me, it’s worth every bite.
We had a blast exploring the gardens, the gym, pool and restaurants. Even sitting outside watching the other guests with their dogs, was so fun.
Fun Facts About Founders Inn and Spa – Hotel Near Virginia Beach
- The Founders Inn and Spa hotel feels like you walk into the Old World and Colonial times.
- There are three buildings on the hotel property: The Main (Virginia Inn) Building, James River Lodge, and York River Lodge.
- The James River Lodge and York River Lodge are exterior buildings separate from the main building and are connected by a covered walkway.
- The James River Lodge is close to the Flowering Almond Spa, Fitness Center, and indoor/outdoor pools.
- The York River Lodge is where the pet-friendly rooms are.
- The main building rooms are considered our concierge-level rooms, with priority seating at the Swan Terrace Grill and priority reservations at the Spa.
- All rooms are 100% smoke-free.
Regent University Campus
- The Founders Inn and Spa hotel is located adjacent to Regent University.
- It is nationally recognized for its law school and doctoral programs.
- Founded in 1977 by Dr. M.G. “Pat” Robertson,
- Regent is home to a 700-seat theatre and mock moot courtroom.
- The student body represents 68 countries and is continually growing and thriving.
- Regent employs over 500 members of faculty, including former Attorney General John Ashcroft and Admiral Vern Clark (ret.), former Chief of Naval Operations.
- Regent is nationally recognized as a Top 10 Best University by U.S. News & World Report, 2013, for its online bachelor’s programs.
- The hotel has partnered with Regent for various event venues, including the opening of their 22,000 square foot Chapel and 36,000 square foot Divinity Building.