Newport Rhode Island With Kids – An Itinerary With Suprises!

My speciality when it comes to travel, is my due diligence. I can research the place my family and I are planning to visit for weeks, even months, and it brings me pure joy. Once I decide on where we are off to, that’s when the actual adventure and journey begins for me.  As part of our Northeast United States Road Trip, I was fortune enough to add in Newport Rhode Island.

While shooting ideas around with Andrea from Discover Newport, Newport Rhode Island’s tourism board, she sent me an itinerary that totally surprised me with three options I never found online. This is why I always love to contact the tourism boards, they know much more than the internet allows us to find.

Newport Rhode Island With Kids

Newport’s Visitor Center

Things To Do in Newport Rhode Island with Kids

1. The Breakers Mansion – This is kind of a no-brainer. You can’t spend an afternoon in Newport without visiting a Newport mansion. You can spend a full day hanging out here and a whole week visiting all the mansions.

Breakers Mansion, Newport Rhode Island

The Breakers Mansion Back View

2. Wharfs of Newport  – The entire city of Newport is located on the Atlantic Ocean. It’s one of the most famous maritime cities in the US and sailing is as common to this town as hockey is to Canada.

sailing newport rhode island

Sailing in Newport

However, it’s not only about sailing. It’s a town to be walked around and enjoyed. There are so many tiny little shops along their main street and the dozens of wharfs and piers that lead right into the water, that you’ll probably lose a day and not even know it just wondering around the shops.

downtown newport rhode island

Wharfs of Newport

3. Lobsters and Seafood – how can you not have daily fresh catches here? New England is famous for their delicious Lobsters and Crabs, and I would never have known about the Lobster Company if it wasn’t recommended to me.

long wharf newport rhode island

Lobster Company

Once you’re inside the fishermen allow you to hold the largest lobster they caught.

Newport Rhode Island with kids

9 Pounder

And don’t forget the crabs. There are lots and lots of them here too.

Things to do in Newport Rhode Island

Crabs

4. Cliff Walk – this is one of the most popular attractions to do here. The cliff walk is about 3.5 miles along the coast. There are some areas that are very easy to walk, others have more rocky areas. When we were there some parts were closed due to the damage of Sandy Storm. And we had a stroller which made it less accessible. However, if we were there for more than one day, this would have been something to tackle early in the morning when the kids have tons of energy and my three year old can be away from his precious limo (stroller) for more than one hour.

Newport Rhode Island Cliff walk

Cliff Walk

5. Ocean Drive – Or better known as the Ten-Mile Drive is a must if you have a car. The views are spectacular and if you’re coming from downtown Newport, you head directly to where all the Mansions are located and the cliff walk begins.

Newport Rhode Island Ocean Drive - Ten Mile Drive

Ocean Drive

6. Ice Cream Train Tour – This is a new attraction and sounded fantastic. And something that never came up on my search. When our itinerary arrived we had a choice to do either the Ice Cream Train tour or the trolley tour. Since most of my planning is revolved around what my kids will enjoy most and most importantly bathroom breaks or accessibility for my three year old, I decided the train idea was awesome.

dinner train tour newport rhode island

Ice Cream Train

My kids would have plenty of moving around space, a bathroom near by and ice cream!

things to do in newport rhode island with kids

Yummy

This is a new tour because their main attraction is the dinner train ride, which is an evening tour with dinner and a show. So instead it was during the day along the coast and instead of dinner you can buy lunch and ice cream was included in the package.

Newport rhode island with kids

Ice Cream Lady

And you can pick all the toppings you want.

things to do in newport rhode island with kids

Toppings galore

The tour was over 90 minutes. We enjoyed it at first, but after 60 minutes with nothing much to see outside except for the ocean and no entertainment the kids became extremely restless. I wish we had more time to spend, I would have absolutely loved the dinner and a show package with the kids.

This itinerary allowed us to see and get a good feel for Newport. I’ll be honest with you, one day is simply not enough. You really need at least 4 days to enjoy this amazing town!

Be Sociable, Share!

About Marina Kuperman Villatoro

Marina Kuperman Villatoro CEO of TravelExperta.com, a travel resource site to inspire families to travel with kids of all ages. Marina has been an expat 10+ years in Central America raising 2 boys in a multicultural, trilingual household. She travels all over the world with her family to give first hand experiences of where to eat, stay and play with kids. Needless to say, it’s never boring! Join Marina on Facebook and Twitter for more unique and boutique family travel!

28 Responses to Newport Rhode Island With Kids – An Itinerary With Suprises!

1. I want to go on the ice cream train!!! 😉 That lobster looks seriously scary though. Your kids are brave!
    Shelly Rivoli recently posted..In case of carsickness: Ten things you’ll be glad to have on your next road tripMy Profile

2. AY says:

I’ve been wanting to go to Newport for a long time especially to check out the mansions. The breaker mansion looks really cool. Didn’t realize there was a lot to do in the city however.
    AY recently posted..Renting a Car in JordanMy Profile

3. Jennifer says:

We don’t have kids, but I’d love to do all these things myself! I’d never considered visiting Rhode Island until reading this post.
    Jennifer recently posted..Wine Wednesday: Tips for Packing Wine in LuggageMy Profile

4. We like your style, Marina. Our family holdays follow an itinerary too. Would hate to miss out on anything.
    Gran Canaria Local recently posted..MoyaMy Profile

5. Melissa says:

As a native Rhode Islander, I LOVE reading what visitors to my state enjoy. Although I now live in NYC, I make it a point of heading back to RI at least once a year. Your post made me realize I haven’t been back to Newport for at least a couple of years… Time to go!
    Melissa recently posted..Visiting the floating Uros IslandsMy Profile

6. I haven’t been to Newport but I did go to Providence RI for a conference and enjoyed it.
    Kate @30Traveler recently posted..Koh Samui – Great Beaches + ConvenienceMy Profile

7. wait. and ice cream TRAIN? yep.
    wanderingeducators recently posted..China’s Entrepreneurial OpportunityMy Profile

8. Larissa says:

Love the ice cream train!
    Larissa recently posted..A foodie taste of Chapel Hill, North CarolinaMy Profile

9. This looks like a fun experience, especially the ice cream train!
    Val-Travel Scamming recently posted..Amsterdam Travel Scams To Be Aware Of On Your Next VacationMy Profile

10. The kid in me wants the ice cream train NOW!
    Cat of Sunshine and Siestas recently posted..Spain Snapshots: The Lonja de la Sede, ValenciaMy Profile

11. Micki says:

Oh, you had me at the ice cream train! 🙂
    Micki recently posted..Great Places To Go With Children In MadridMy Profile

12. Jennifer says:

Fun! I had a great time taking my kids to Newport a few years ago. It’s such a nice summertime vacation town.
    Jennifer recently posted..Family Fun beyond the Ski SlopesMy Profile

13. LOVE Newport. Great for kids and adults alike! 🙂
    Lillie – @WorldLillie recently posted..Photo Essay: Is India’s Amber Palace Your Dream Home?My Profile

14. noel says:

well that looked like a lot of fun, I would have enjoyed that coastal walk followed by the train and ice cream yeah!

I’m inviting you to join us for Travel Photo Mondays, the link runs all week so I hope you can join us for the next installment?

15. Seafoods then following by ice-cream in the train! I think is a nice combination 🙂
    Lex @ Lex Paradise recently posted..A comfy stay in Busan KoreaMy Profile

16. Sue says:

An Ice cream train tour — I am IN!

17. The ice cream train sounds like so much fun, though I can definitely understand how it might not be suitable for younger children. Thank you for the great suggestions – including pointing out the value of always connecting with the local tourism board! Such a good point!

18. Sabrina Dix says:

This looks like so much fun! Your images are amazing….what kind of camera are you using?
    Sabrina Dix recently posted..#bloggers needed: Choose Your Gadget EventMy Profile

19. I love to travel! I love posts about families who travel and great spots to hit with the kids.
    Mary @ A Mama Collective recently posted..Tea on Tuesdays {10.8.13}My Profile

20. We love Rhode Island! My husband and I have been once. We have always planned to go back with our kids.
    Stacie @ The Divine Miss Mommy recently posted..Six to Mix – 6 Jewelry Essentials from Stella & DotMy Profile

21. Lori says:

The tour sounds amazing – and the Icea Cream one… oh, you just gave me an idea on what to eat right now – even if it is winter here 😉 and cold!
    Lori recently posted..What to do in London near Heathrow AirportMy Profile

22. Dave Briggs says:

The Ocean Drive sounds like a great route to tackle by bicycle!
    Dave Briggs recently posted..Which Type of Handlebars are Best for Bicycle Touring?My Profile