Horse Back Riding Lessons – Equestrian Style

Living in Guatemala and being an Expat has so many benefits it’s hard to keep track of them all. But one of the top ones by far is my son’s Horse Back Riding Lessons.

Horse Back Riding Lessons

Horse Back Riding Lessons in Guatemala:

I mean, I never ever considered sending my kids to an Equestrian school since the first thought that comes to mind is: expensive!!!

Not in Guatemala. Azotea, a gorgeous farm about 10 minutes from Antigua Center, offers some of the best horseback riding classes in Guatemala.  We stumbled upon this opportunity while my son had a two week break off for mid school and he did a small camp session there.

At first he was reluctant to come, or more like lazy, which meant he had to do something other than lounge around on a Saturday. Plus, to give him credit, the beginning classes are a bit on the dull side. The child/person has to get used to managing a horse, sitting properly and other important skills that won’t get you thrown off and kicked in the head by a horse.

After about three months of coming horseback riding one day a week, we had a breakthrough. And that’s just what my adrenaline junky son needed. He went from a  regular walk/trot to a canter and that made all the difference in the world.

Now, he canters – which in my mind is dangerous, but he loves the high powered action of the horse. And on top of that – he started jumping!

The pride on his little face when the horse is going full speed ahead, he’s lifting his body to work with the horse and then taking the jump is priceless.

Oh, even though the classes are dirt cheap in comparison to US prices ($13 an hour – most days they are private – to the usual US rate of $100 and I wouldn’t even know how much a private class costs), my parents are the ones that really are making it happen.

It’s my parents gift to my son- equestrian lessons. THANK YOU!!!

Be Sociable, Share!

About Marina Kuperman Villatoro

Marina Kuperman Villatoro CEO of TravelExperta.com, a travel resource site to inspire families to travel with kids of all ages. Marina has been an expat 10+ years in Central America raising 2 boys in a multicultural, trilingual household. She travels all over the world with her family to give first hand experiences of where to eat, stay and play with kids. Needless to say, it’s never boring! Join Marina on Facebook and Twitter for more unique and boutique family travel!

18 Responses to Horse Back Riding Lessons – Equestrian Style

1. I love, love, love that last photo. What fun!
    wanderingeducators recently posted..Four Amazing Cultural Museums in SingaporeMy Profile

2. Elle Spain says:

I personally don’t ride… but hubby does and he’d love this! Your lad ‘s a lucky boy.
    Elle x

3. Ann says:

That’s awesome that it’s so affordable, and that he stuck with it. Definitely worth the time.
    Ann recently posted..Google Reader is Ending: THANK GOODNESS!My Profile

4. Great photos! I always wanted to ride horses but it was too expensive a hobby. Perhaps I could do a camp in Guatemala…

Paige
    Paige Conner Totaro recently posted..Sticky TransitionsMy Profile

5. I grew up around horses, as my mom rode as a kid and taught us when my sister and I were small. She’s coming to Spain in, um, an hour, and I can’t wait to have her in my husband’s village and in various other places – it’s a horse-themed week! Love the photos, too – must have been wonderful!
    Cat of Sunshine and Siestas recently posted..Seville’s Best Terrace Bars for SummerMy Profile

6. Jennifer says:

Look at his precious, adorable face!
    Jennifer recently posted..Sprecher Brewing Company TourMy Profile

7. Love the close-up action shot of your son on the horse!
    Kara Williams recently posted..Excellent Customer Service at The Allison Inn & Spa in Oregon Wine CountryMy Profile

8. i love it. it brings me back to the horse back riding classes our kids took in northern israel. and again in costa rica. a huge boost to their character. i love the first pic of your son with the helmet on. he looks simply adorable and shining. thank you for sharing. gabi
    Gabi (The Nomadic Family) recently posted..Fantasy VacationMy Profile

9. Will keep it in mind for when/if we’re in Guatemala next year. 🙂
    Bethaney – Flashpacker Family recently posted..Sydney Harbour YHA @YHA_AustraliaMy Profile

10. Dale says:

I’m not a horse rider and certainly don’t think I’ll ever be, but they are incredible creatures full of such pure energy and I’m incredibly jealous that you got time to spend it with them in all their glory for a week. Your son certainly seems to love it!
    Dale recently posted..Weekend Photo Theme – Outdoor SculpturesMy Profile

11. Andrea says:

I’ve only been on a horse once for about ten minutes – really would love to learn how to ride on my own.
    Andrea recently posted..Yes, Sir In the SouthMy Profile

12. Micki says:

Oh, that looks like fun! My 7 year old would love that. We tried horse riding lessons in Nerja, Spain for him, and they were a great deal as well ($20 for an hour and a half). I love travel – it sometimes gives you a chance to try something that would simply be too expensive at home.
    Micki recently posted..A Love Letter To Grand Old HotelsMy Profile

13. Sandra Foyt says:

We found another benefit to riding lessons for kids: emotional therapy. Learning how to listen to a horse made a huge difference in how my young son dealt with difficult emotions. Luckily, private lessons in upstate New York were “only” $40/hour.
    Sandra Foyt recently posted..The Perfected Packing List for a Cross-country Road TripMy Profile

14. Abby says:

He looks great up there!!
    Abby recently posted..Only in Vegas: driving American muscle carsMy Profile

15. Wow! What a bargain price for horseback riding lessons. It’s true that in the USA, especially where I live in California, horse riding lessons are very expensive. I could make more money offering horse riding lessons than I earn travel writing, if not for the high cost of carrying liability insurance. That’s the barrier in California; insurance.

Glad he is bonding with horses – they are special animals.
    Nancy D. Brown recently posted..Pau Riders: Festivals of Aloha in HawaiiMy Profile