Antigua Guatemala is known as one of the most beautiful places in Guatemala. It is a small city with a colonial architecture and cobblestoned streets. It was once the capital city of all of Central America and is now the last true colonial city of the region. This is definitely a place you must visit when you travel to this small country.
5 things that travelers have to do in Antigua:
1. Walking Around – One of the best things you can do when you visit Antigua, is to go for a walk along it’s the cobblestoned streets. This is a great way to enjoy the colonial architecture, the colors of these old buildings and the views of the mountains and volcanoes that surround this small city.
2. Eating Authentic Guatemalan Food – There are a large number of restaurants, for all kinds of budgets that offer the most famous and delicious traditional dishes of Guatemala. It is highly recommended to try at least Pepian, Guatemala’s national dish.
3. People Watching at the Central Park – The central park of Antigua Guatemala is the most popular one of the country. It is a small place, only a square block, but with tons of trees, benches and a few fountains. It is a great place to chill out and see the locals living their daily lives.
4. Visiting one of the Many Markets – Antigua has many artisan’s markets, these are great places to visit of you want to do some shopping or to spend some time, looking at the colorful artwork and jewelry made by locals.
5. Enjoying the Ruins – After the Santa Marta Earthquakes from 1773 many buildings, especially the monasteries and churches got destroyed. Many of these buildings were abandoned and never got restored. Lately, the ruins have been habilitated as beautiful gardens that travelers can visit for a small fee.
Of course there are many other things to do in Antigua. These are just a few of the best.
This post is part of the initiative “100 cities to home swap in before you die” from Knok.com