Japanese Gardens in South Florida – Morikami Gardens
South Florida and Japan have a long history together – much to my surprise. I have always found the Japanese culture to be truly different and intriguing, and have been pulled many times to visiting Japanese Gardens wherever I visit. For the past four years I’ve been visiting my parents in Florida and only now realized there was a gem waiting to be discovered only thirty minutes from their house – Morikami Gardens and Museum.
What I like to do is have certain days where I enjoy doing different activities with just one of my son’s at a time. To have more quality time with each one. For our Japanese Gardens excursion, I took my baby with me.
Fun Facts about Morikami Gardens and Japanese Culture of Florida:
1. In the early 1900′s there was a surge of Japanese farmers moving to the area – they became the Yamato Colony
2. Around 1930′s the colony left because they never made their dreams come true
3. However, one settler stayed – George Morakami – to continue farming the land
4. He always had a dream – to build a memorial to the Yamato Colony
5. In 1970′s he did just that when he was 80 years old
6. Today Morikami has a Museum and a movie theater to give a better history of the place and George Morikami life. And beautifully manicured and preserved.
Morikami Gardens in Photos:
The lake and gardens
Art Works around the Gardens
Japanese doorways and gateways
Japanese ancient tools
Japanese Typical House – Interactive Museum
Japanese Dining room
Feeding the Fish
Our Friend – Buddha
My Take On It:
The Japanese Gardens are simply gorgeous. The paths are easy to walk around on, and there is plenty to see. I enjoyed the interactive Japanese House where you can learn about life in a modern Japanese family from the schooling they have to how they live and eat.
I brought my baby with me and he was simply excited to have his mommy all to himself. However, this is something more fun to do with teens and adults rather than smaller kids.
Important information needed for Morikami Museum and Gardens:
Morikami Museum and Japanese Garden
Hours: Tue – sun: 10:00 – 17:00
Address: 4000 Morikami Park Road • Delray Beach 33446
Cost: Adults (ages 18+) $13* / Seniors (ages 65 & over) $12* / Children (ages 6-17) FREE for children 5 & under $8 / Students (with valid ID) $8 (tax not included)