Guatemala, bus especially Antigua are known around the world as one oF the best coffee producers. This is because of its climate caused by the elevation over sea level that it has. When you drive through Antigua’s surroundings you can still see the coffee plantations and some are now offering guided tours.
In these tours you get to learn about the process behind a cup of Guatemalan coffee, including how it’s grown, harvested and processed. You also learn about the history of this delicious grain.
Discover more fun things to do in Guatemala for travelers.
Here is some info about the coffee process you will be learning about:
* The coffee plant is cultivated from a seed and depends on strict pruning processes to grow to its full fruition.
* Once the cherries are picked, the fruit is depulped, fermentated, washed and sundried on patios.
* After it has dried properly, it is hulled and then handpicked according to size, color, weigth and density of the green bean.
* Learn the differnt roasting processes for regular or expresso coffees.
* Learn what is involved in the packaging and blending of coffee
* Lastly, join a coffee expert for a tasting of the distinct taste senstations of dfiferent coffees.
Encuentra información mas detallada de donde encontrar plantaciones de café en Guatemala.
You can also learn about Guatemalan coffee and cardamom in the plantations located close to Semuc Champey and Lanquin, in Coban Guatemala, where many offer educational and fun tours .
FUN FACT: Did you know that instant coffee was invented in Guatemala? That’s how much they love coffee!