I bet that if you visit Costa Rica, you won’t see the point of visiting San Jose since it is only another city and you are dying to get to the natural beauties. But if you give it a chance you will see there are some attractions in San Jose where you get to learn about the Costa Rican culture and history.
Check out more places you can visit while traveling in Costa Rica.
What to do in San Jose for a great vacation:
1. Avenida Central: There is no other way to describe it but as a central street that has been closed off and is filled with shops and restaurants. In one end stands the famous Mercado Central, in the middle is the elegant National Theater and at the other end you can ride a bus to San Pedro and other popular spots around San Jose. This is the best place to start exploring San Jose.
2. Mercado Central: You can lunch while you are shopping for typical souvenirs to bring back home. It is always full of excitement and activity. Hundreds of different products are available here. This is one of the oldest central markets that you will find in Costa Rica. It is definitely a must see spot. Caution though, because pick-pockets are quite available here.
3. National Theater: This is one of the most elegant and beautiful buildings there are in San Jose. It hosts a variety of shows such as dance, opera, symphony concerts and much more. If you have kids, a great park filled with hundreds of pigeons is right in front it so that your kid can burn all his extra energy. If you ever have the chance to catch a show, don’t miss it!
4. La Sabana Park: Like every city, San Jose has a great central park as well. The park has a huge man-made lake with beautiful cemented trails that take you around it. I usually give my son a horseback ride and then allow him to play in the field. But be careful because it gets dangerous when it starts to get dark.
5. Museums: There is so much culture you can learn in them. The most interesting ones that you should check are: Jade Museum, Museo Nacional de Costa Rica, and Museo de Oro Precolombino. My favorite one is the children’s museum.
Lee mas sobre qué lugares visitar al viajar a Costa Rica.
These where just some of the best things to do in San Jose, there is also the night life, the luxurious hotels and the fact that this is a great home base for all your adventures in the Central Valley. So dare to be different, spend some time in San Jose, you won’t regret it.