Travel to Honduras – A Short Guide
Honduras is a Central American country with amazing islands on the Caribbean Sea known as the Bay Islands that are surrounded by the second largest Barrier coral reef in the world. It is also home to some of the most important Mayan ruins because of its hieroglyphs.
Guide to Travel to Honduras
Copan in Honduras is one of the most popular destinations in the country. Here you will find an archaeological compound of an old Mayan city that was declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1980. Archeologists refer to Copan as the Paris of the Maya world.
1. The first thing you have to do when in Copan is to visit the Copan Maya Ruins. Here you will see beautiful pyramids, mystic tunnels and a museum. This site is one of the most important for the Maya world; its intricate Stelae have helped archaeologists understand Mayans better.
2. Another great way to have some fun in Copan is to visit Macaw Mountain, one of the best bird refuge centers in Honduras. Here you can interact with macaws.
3. If on the other hand you prefer a relaxed walk or a horseback ride you might want to visit Los Sapos Mayan Ruins. You will find it on the property of Hacienda San Lucas. It’s basically a few boulders that were carved into huge Toads during the Maya era however no one knows what they mean.
1. Hacienda San Lucas is perfect for those travelers that want to experience what Copan’s countryside has to offer. This is a Traditional Hacienda from over 100 years ago and the best family hotel of Copan.
2. If on the other side you prefer a luxury boutique hotel in the middle of all the action of the town Yat Balam is for you. It was voted as one of the top hotels in the world by Tripadvisor. The whole hotel has 4 adorable rooms.
Roatan is a beautiful island of Honduras located 30 miles off of the coast in the Caribbean Sea. Here you get to enjoy the most perfect white sanded beaches and crystal clear waters. Even though it’s part of Honduras (a Spanish speaking country), the main language spoken on the Island is English from the days it was a colony of Britain.
1. For an underwater adventure you get the chance of exploring the underwater museum in a snorkeling tour.
2. If you are on an island in the middle of the Caribbean Sea you can’t miss going on a catamaran cruise.
3. For $400 per person you can go down to 1500 feet or more in a passenger submarine. This is a fun and safe way to explore the depths of the sea with kids.
4. A great way to see the island and go wherever you want is to rent a scooter. You can avoid the expensive taxi fees and explore the town your way. The roads are well paved and it’s hard to get lost.
1. For travelers that prefer a more luxurious option Mansion at Costa Tesoro offers 6 incredible suites. Staying at his boutique hotel will definitely be a highlight of your trip. The service, food, views and the pool are amazing.
2. Another great option on West End is Fosters. They offer cabins one bedroom to three bedrooms, they are perfect for families.
3. There is also Tranquilseas, an Eco Lodge that offers private cabins with a partial kitchenette and a great pool for kids.
This tiny island is also part of Honduras and is also located in the Caribbean Sea. Utila is the smallest of the three major Bay islands. It is known around the world as one of the best places for scuba diving & watching whale sharks. Due to its colorful history the culture of its people is a blend of British, American and Spanish legacy.
1. Diving is one of the main reasons why travelers visit Utila. There are places where you and even your kids can learn how to do it. This provides a day of family fun!
2. Beach bumming and exploring the town is a great thing to do for those who prefer something a bit more relaxed. There are plenty of street vendors and small coffee shops or restaurants to hang out in and enjoy.
1. While exploring the island I found Jade’s Seahorse. It is a unique artsy hotel where the owner’s canvas is the entire property. It’s truly an amazing place worth checking out.
2. Laguna Beach Resort is by far the most luxurious hotel in Utila. It is located between a lagoon and the Caribbean Sea.
3. Then there is Colobri Hill Hotel, an 8 room small, basic hotel with amazing views and a great pool for kids.
Fun Fact about Honduras: Christopher Columbus first words when he set foot on Honduras were: “Thank God we got out these great depths!” Honduras’ literal meaning is: Great Depths.