The North Caribbean Coast of Costa Rica is famously known as the ‘Port City of Limon’. It consists of a cluster of freshwater canals and wetland areas, surrounded by thick rainforest heaving with wildlife and 22 miles of protected black sanded beaches. From July to October the endangered green sea turtle makes its way over to Tortuguero, Amazon of Costa Rica, to lay her eggs. Plus, Barra del Colorado, about 1.5 hours north by boat, is one of the top sport fishing locations in the world known mostly for its tarpon and snook.
Get tons of fun facts about Costa Rica.
The blend of different cultures, cuisines, carnivals and restaurants specializing in Caribbean cooking makes this region not only an environmental hallmark for wildlife, but a colorful and fun cultural scene.
Where Is It?
From Limon north to the Panama border.
Warm, humid and wet
Average temperature 81°F and 87-90% humidity
Places To Be
This tiny village can only be accessed by boat or plane because it is located in between the thin strip of land of Tortuguero River and the Caribbean Sea. Tortuguero is known for having the largest population of green turtles (Chelonia mydas) nesting in the Western Hemisphere.
- Turtle Tours – July to October
- Bird & Wildlife Watching
- Tortuguero National Park
Barra Del Colorado
Known to be a sport fishing sanctuary and rated as one of the top ten places to fish in the world.
- Monster tarpons (100 plus pounds) and two species of snook that can be fished year-round
- Barra del Colorado Wildlife Refuge: the largest wildlife refuge in Costa Rica with over 50 kilometers of canals, rivers, lagoons and marshlands.
So Much To See In the Northern Caribbean Region
Tortuguero’s 22 miles of deserted coast where four species of sea turtle come ashore to nest: the green (Chelonia mydas), hawksbill (Eretmochelys imbricata), leatherback (Dermochelys coriacea) and loggerhead (Caretta caretta) sea turtles.
Museums and Gardens
- EARTH University: A tropical agricultural research center with students from all over Latin America, includes a rainforest reserve, medicinal herb garden, banana plantation and processing, and recycled paper-making plant.
- The Caribbean Conservation Corporation (CCC): Located in the village of Tortuguero. Marine turtle conservation, biology classes and volunteer opportunities.
Popular Parks & Reserves
- Barra del Colorado Wildlife Refuge
- Tortuguero National Park
So Much To Do In the North Caribbean Region
- Turtle Tours
- Bird and Wildlife Viewing
Adventure & Recreational Activities
- Canoeing and Kayaking
- Sport Fishing
Descubre datos curiosos acerca del Caribe de Costa Rica.
As you can see some of the best activities of Costa Rica are available in this area. So what are you waiting for?