The Copan Ruins – Maya Ceremonial Site, Honduras
Did you know that the Copan Ruins in Honduras are considered one of the most important Maya Ceremonial cities and ruins along the Maya route.
4 Reasons why the Copan ruins are SO important in the archeological world:
Find some other great places to go to when you visit Honduras.
1. The Mayan Steleas that were found here were practically intact from when they were built. Some still have the original bright red color on them, almost perfectly preserved over the centuries.
2. The Steleas also read like books. If you know how to read Maya that is. Gratefully, to a Russian woman – my people – can now dicepher what they Maya once wrote.
3. Aside from the wealth of info the Steleas read, the main staircase which was almost perfectly intact, gave the largest insight to the Maya world, more than any other ruin to date.
4. Copan Ruins is centuries of dynasties and empires. Each one built more grandeur temples over the others. Luckily for us, we can visit the tunnels that are under the city to see these ancient relics and their water systems that they used for their villages.
What To See at Copan Ruins
Unlike other ruins along the Maya route, Copan doesn’t have an all inclusive entrance fee.
You have a choice of 3 things to see:
1. The main ruins themselves
2. The underground tunnels
3. The Museum
This is my second visit to Copan Ruins. I came here as a backpacker, budget traveler 10 years ago. This time I returned with my family and we splurged on the whole package.
Trust me doing the entire tour is worth every single penny! You get the full experience of this incredible place.
Copan Ruins are located less than 5 minutes – by car- from the center of town. The prices vary if you’re from Central America or any other country.
On average the whole package can cost you up to $40. Kids under 7 are half price.
Mayan Ruins, Copan Video
Descubre otros lugares que puedes visitar al viajar a Honduras.
Mayan Ruins Museum, Copan Video
For more photos from around the world check out Delicious Baby – Photo Friday.