Honduras, the original country where the term ‘Banana Republic’ was coined from, has many wonderful and surprising facts that I bet you didn’t know about!
8 Interesting Facts about Honduras:
Learn more fun facts about traveling in Honduras.
1. Christopher Columbus discovered Honduras. And when he set foot on ground his first words were: “Thank God we got out these great depths!” Honduras’ literal meaning is: Great Depths.
2. The Bay Islands sit on the second largest coral reef in the world.
3. Copan Mayan Ruins are considered the most important ruins for the fully intact hieroglyphs. The main source of how we know Maya history today.
4. The five stars on the Honduran flag represent the five countries of Central America. With the middle star representing Honduras, because it’s the only country that touches four of the CA countries.
Descubre más datos interesantes que podrían convencerte de viajar a Honduras.
5. The Lempira (Honduran money) is named after an Indian chief that died trying to save his lands from the Spaniards. The interesting part is that, even though, it looks like an indigenous on the actual bill, it’s really a picture of a Native American Indian from North America.
6. It’s completely normal to find blonde haired, blue eyed Hondurans on the bay islands. They are direct descendents of the British Pirates that came here over 500 years ago.
7. More than 50% of the country lives below poverty levels.
8. Hondurans are called Catrachos/Catrachas in Central America and within their own country. It is not a negative nickname.