This is the second most popular volcano in Costa Rica and only because it is not as close to San Jose as Poas Volcano is. It is also among the top ten most active volcanoes in the world. Its beauty will blow your mind especially during the afternoon as the sun goes down and the volcano reflects on the lake. Plus sometimes you will get to see the lava flowing show. The best part is that you can enjoy this magical scene while soaking in natural hot springs warmed up by the volcano.
Learn more about the all the things to do in Costa Rica on vacation.
Where Is It?
Located inside Arenal Volcano National Park, the volcano is 17 kilometers from the town of La Fortuna.
1633 meters (5383 feet) above sea level
Type of Activity
Lee mas sobre a donde ir en Costa Rica en tus próximas vacaciones.
How Old Is It?
3,000 years old
The Last Big Eruption
August 24, 2000
Did You Know?
- This is one of the most popular attractions in Costa Rica. Enjoy the lava flowing show as you soak in the nearby natural hot spring resorts heated by the volcano.
- It is the 3rd most perfect conical shaped volcano in the world
- It is one of the top ten most active volcanoes in the world
- There are 3 to 20 lava flowing explosions daily sending ash plumes one kilometer above the volcano and boulders down its sides the size of houses
- Every six to eight months lava flows change direction favoring the southwest and/or northwest slopes.
- Volcanologists have warned that a major eruption is coming in the future that could cause pyrocalstic flows – a mixture of hot rocks and gases that travel up to 80 kilometers per hour, destroying everything in their path.
- For over 400 years Arenal sat silent until July 29, 1968 when it exploded with such force that it blew up the entire western side of the mountain and created three craters. The three neighboring villages: Pueblo Nuevo, Tabacon, and San Luis were destroyed and 78 lives were lost.