Al though they are one of the smallest crocodilian species these guys are fierce predators. In Guatemala it can be found in the northern department of Peten. Here are some interesting facts about them.
1. The species’ common name comes from a bony ridge between the eyes. It gives the appearance of a pair of spectacles.
2. Adult animals are capable of eating large, mammals as wild pigs.
3. Observations show that as conditions become drier, these reptiles stop feeding. Cannibalism has been reported under such conditions.
4. Males of the species are generally between 2 and 2.5 meters, while females are usually around 1.4 meters.
5. Due to the reduction in number of larger crocodilian species the Caiman expanded its range into areas formerly occupied by them.
6. It can be found in much of Central and South America. It lives in habitats of lowland wetland and riverside habitat and can tolerate salt water as well as fresh.
7. They are diurnal and a favorite daytime activity for caimans is sunbathing or basking on shore.
8. Some live where the weather is especially cold at times during the year, but none of them actually become inactive and enter a state of deep sleep.
For More Great Info Get Your Book NOW!